Sign in to follow this  

[D3D10] transparent sprites

This topic is 2854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having trouble to get my sprites to draw with transparent background. I feel like I'm doing something wrong in code, although for all I know this could be a problem with actual .bmp file. Although I feel like I've done everything right creating the bmp file and saved it in the right format and everything it just shows up with a white background. Anyway I'm using an ID3DX10Sprite to draw a collection of ID3D10Texture2D objects, each of which have transparency. My sequence of calls is basically like this: sprite->Begin(D3DX10_SPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_FRONT_TO_BACK); device->OMSetBlendState(blend, {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f}, 0xFFFFFFFF); foreach (ID3D10Texture2D texture in textures) sprite->DrawSpritesBuffered(texture, 1); sprite->Flush(); sprite->End(); where 'blend' is an ID3D10BlendState created with the following sequence of code:
	D3D10_BLEND_DESC desc;
	ZeroMemory(&desc, sizeof(D3D10_BLEND_DESC));
	desc.AlphaToCoverageEnable = TRUE;
	desc.BlendEnable[0] = TRUE;
	desc.SrcBlend = D3D10_BLEND_SRC_ALPHA;
	desc.DestBlend = D3D10_BLEND_INV_SRC_ALPHA;
	desc.BlendOp = D3D10_BLEND_OP_ADD;
	desc.SrcBlendAlpha = D3D10_BLEND_SRC_ALPHA;
	desc.DestBlendAlpha = D3D10_BLEND_INV_SRC_ALPHA;
	desc.BlendOpAlpha = D3D10_BLEND_OP_ADD;
	desc.RenderTargetWriteMask[0] = D3D10_COLOR_WRITE_ENABLE_ALL;

VERIFY_HR(g_app->graphics().device()->CreateBlendState(&desc, &blend_));

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong? And how can I tell if it is a problem with the image format or with the blending code?

Wow, ok. Figured out the problem but it seems kind of stupid. Guess I'll post here since I saw the same question at least 10 times on google and nobody ever had an answer.

Use the DirectX Texture Tool that comes with the DirectX SDK to convert all the files to .dds format and it works fine. Seems kind of odd that it doesn't support bmp files though.

This topic is 2854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.