Sign in to follow this  

Line drawing problem

This topic is 2853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to implement a thick line drawing and i'm encountering a little problem. (That i think its not aliasing) see the following image that's the result of the algorithm at various angulations : http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9480/whatzy.png As you see, as we reach the 45° angulation the line begin to look REALLy weird while its fine at more acute angulations, or at 45° precise. This is how I calculate the 4 points of the quad Single L = (Single)Math.Sqrt(Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X), 2) + Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y), 2)); Single X = (PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X) / L; Single Y = (PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y) / L; And use the X and Y multiplied per Width to create the 2 new points. Any clues?

The line to be able of have a width is drawed as a series of 2 triangles with the vertices calculated as follow

A (X,Y,0)
B (XEnd, YEnd, 0)

Single L = (Single)Math.Sqrt(Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X), 2) + Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y), 2));
Single XVAR = (PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X) / L;
Single YVAR = (PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y) / L;

C (X - (YVAR * Width), Y + (XVAR * Width))
D (XEnd - (YVAR * Width), YEnd + (XVAR * Width))

the triangles are

ABC, BDC

Yes, they are B and A and yes i'm drawing them in the correct order (otherwise they would get culled :P)
Well that's strange then. Why it gives those artefacts? ç_ç

On higher width 5+, the problem isn't present.
Between 4 and 5 the problem is not much visible.
On 1 or 3 width the problem is there.

For the 1 width I can use directly a simple DirectX line, but for 2 and 3? :P

Quote:
For the 1 width I can use directly a simple DirectX line, but for 2 and 3?

At low Widths, Width*sin(angle) and Width*cos(angle) may be less than 1 pixel and you're getting degenerate triangles. You can add a check something like:

if( XVAR < 1 ) XVAR = 1;
if( YVAR < 1 ) YVAR = 1;

That still won't be perfect, but it'll be close.

Quote:
if XVar and YVar are always 1 if under 1 you will get always the same diagonal 45° line in those cases.

That's true at angles close to 45. But you're trying to draw floating-point values in an integer world. You have to compensate for displacements of less than a pixel somehow, and it will be a compromise.

if( XVAR < 0.5f ) XVAR = 0;
else if(XVAR < 1 ) XVAR = 1;
.. or something similar

EDIT: simultaneous posts - you're welcome.

This topic is 2853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.