Line drawing problem

Started by
9 comments, last by Buckeye 14 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to implement a thick line drawing and i'm encountering a little problem. (That i think its not aliasing) see the following image that's the result of the algorithm at various angulations : http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9480/whatzy.png As you see, as we reach the 45° angulation the line begin to look REALLy weird while its fine at more acute angulations, or at 45° precise. This is how I calculate the 4 points of the quad Single L = (Single)Math.Sqrt(Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X), 2) + Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y), 2)); Single X = (PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X) / L; Single Y = (PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y) / L; And use the X and Y multiplied per Width to create the 2 new points. Any clues?
Advertisement
Quote:use the X and Y multiplied per Width to create the 2 new points

Can you post the code? And can you clarify what "the quad" is that you're referring to?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

The line to be able of have a width is drawed as a series of 2 triangles with the vertices calculated as follow

A (X,Y,0)
B (XEnd, YEnd, 0)

Single L = (Single)Math.Sqrt(Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X), 2) + Math.Pow((PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y), 2));
Single XVAR = (PosizioneFine.X - Posizione.X) / L;
Single YVAR = (PosizioneFine.Y - Posizione.Y) / L;

C (X - (YVAR * Width), Y + (XVAR * Width))
D (XEnd - (YVAR * Width), YEnd + (XVAR * Width))

the triangles are

ABC, BDC
Your English is better than my Italian. [wink] Is PosizioneFine = B and Posizione = A?

If so, the calc looks correct. Are you rendering triangles in order A-B-C and B-D-C?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Yes, they are B and A and yes i'm drawing them in the correct order (otherwise they would get culled :P)
Well that's strange then. Why it gives those artefacts? ç_ç
Try setting Width to some large number so you can see the individual triangles. That should give you more information.

On higher width 5+, the problem isn't present.
Between 4 and 5 the problem is not much visible.
On 1 or 3 width the problem is there.

For the 1 width I can use directly a simple DirectX line, but for 2 and 3? :P
Quote:For the 1 width I can use directly a simple DirectX line, but for 2 and 3?

At low Widths, Width*sin(angle) and Width*cos(angle) may be less than 1 pixel and you're getting degenerate triangles. You can add a check something like:
if( XVAR < 1 ) XVAR = 1;if( YVAR < 1 ) YVAR = 1;

That still won't be perfect, but it'll be close.

That would not work...
if XVar and YVar are always 1 if under 1 you will get always the same diagonal 45° line in those cases. :P

Anyway i'll try. :P
Well, my assumption was wrong. Now it works perfectly even at 1 width, with that change you give me lol. :P

Thanks a lot!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement