Going Career

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I am new here. I found this website through some game developer connections that I know of. And I am thinking about going for game career. The people I know said this is a good website to begin with, in the For Beginners section (not the forum). I've spent some time on that section, however there are things that are not yet clear to me.. These questions may look stupid but please understand. I've looked through some game design school lists as well but I am not so sure in which to attend. So that'd be my first question.. I live in Southern California, Los Angeles County and anyone recommend any game schools for me? Give me feedbacks if their qualities are nice or not. Devry universities and ITT Tech and WESTWOOD is my best choice for now, but I am not clear if they are good or not. (Basically, I am worried if those private schools that cost a lot are worth it.) First I would like to discuss my career path. I am currently going to a community college and thinking of transferring to Cal State university or University of California of Irvine to major computer science. Before that, I was planning to just drop out of community college and go straight to a tech universities such as DevRy, ITT Tech..etc. and take game design class. But I know that is not really a bright choice to make. As mentioned in the Game Development Schools article, it is good to have at least education from schools like the Cal State..etc. if I wanted a job at a corporate game companies. Which I am considering rather than go on a INDIE path... For me taking indie path is way later on in the future. Anyways after Cal State or UCI, I am going to any mentioned game design schools. And I want to know if that's a good idea? Also I mentioned before I need some questions to be clear. What is the difference between GAME DESIGNERS and Game PROGRAMMERS? Game Programmers, I understand. Which is why I want to be a Game Programmer as I am going to major computer science in programming. But that is yet far. So I want to know what role Game DESIGNERS take, or what their REQUIREMENTS OF LEARNING AND SKILLS are. Again, anyone who are considering to clarify some of this newbie's confusions and questions, I thank you.
Advertisement
Wow - you sound exactly like I did 5 years ago.

The only game development school I can truly recommend is DigiPen up in Redmond, WA. For that you need money ($60,000 tuition), time (practically no work while you're at school), and a high apptitude for fast paced learning (they have you doing 18-21 credits per semester, including your math and programming classes - that's about 6 classes a semester - phew).

I don't know much about Devry University so I can't say much about them.

ITT Tech on the other hand...was probably one of the biggest wastes of money I ever made. I easily 3.9 my education, worked 25+ hours a week, and was able to go back to not only one but 2 community colleges so that I can work on an accredited degree that has classes that tranfer easier between colleges.

So I would probably tell you that the private school aren't quite worth it - accept for the top.

I have heard the University of California has a pretty good Computer Science program with a rich history to its department (Berkeley preffered). Although you will have a focus, I highly suggest finding material to teach yourself game development - most schools have maybe a class or two but it tends to not be very focussed.

A game designer is basically someone who designs the game concepts and sets the direction of how the game develops over time - they have the vision of what the game is supposed to be. They are the conductor(s) in the grand scheme of development usually coming from a testing background (although there is lots of variety to background). Basically they are the idea men (and women). Designers tend to have a broad background ranging from programming to pottery, physics to music - basically, a designer can have any background.

Game Programmers on the other hand are the mechanics that develop that which drives the game. They give the designer a means to bring to life to her vision through tool design, resource management, graphics/GUI, artificial intelligence, network programming, and the list goes on. You name it, there was a programmer behind it. Programmers very rarely get the glory, but there is no better feeling then making a game a work.
Wow. Thank you so much for helping me out. And even from a person who sounded just like me 5 years ago! ;)

Game designer was just what I dreamed of.. getting ideas and concepts. I myself have many ideas. And I will not brag but from my young age until now, I was pretty good at taking ideas out of my head. Well now I guess it's up to me for deciding whether to take the DESIGNER'S PATH or PROGRAMMER'S PATH.

However, I still don't know what the requirements of skills and learning to become a DESIGNER. I know that DESIGNER needs not only skill that you learn but your own natural talent to think of ideas...

And for the school wise, I hear that Digipen only does programs for Mac and SNES, will that help me on PC game developing as well?

Anyways you helped me a lot just now. I can see more into it now. Thank you so much!

Anyone else who wishes to make an inquiry you are very welcome!
This belongs in Breaking In. And Kevin, you need to "View Forum FAQ" (above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think I missed that, I am sorry.
Quote:Original post by Kevin2202
I think I missed that, I am sorry.

Apology not necessary. This forum's FAQ isn't directly accessible from the For Beginners forum anyway, and it's easy to mistake the For Beginners forum for the place to start.
After you read the FAQs, you know where to ask follow-up questions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement