Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rmeek

About sound

Though this isn''t for a game, I''m hopful one of you can help me. Using D5.1 on Win2000 sp/2, I have written an application that creates and runs text-based script files. These scripts show multiple windows including text and rtf files, images, etc. Also, each "frame" of the script can have a wav file played asynchrously in the backround. This is no problem and I''m simply using the PlaySound api for it. However, I would also like to have played a background sound file of any type the user has a default application available for on his or her machine. What I want to insure is that no application running this sound file will popup and get in the way, and also that it''s playing will continue in the background without being interrupted by the individual wav files or that it will not interrupt the flow of my programmed script itself. I know little about this area so what I''m looking for is some very basic help...starting points, hints, etc. What media types should I allow or not allow for this background filew. Should I handle it''s playing within my application or allow it to be played by the default sound application? Any or all help is appreaciated! Robert Meek dba Tangentals Design

Guest Anonymous Poster
haven''t you considered using DirectSound? you could mix the sound effects and play them all at once very easily and wont have to start an application which does that for you

In answer to your mention of using Direct Sound, I''ve no experiance with Direct Sound at all, so i''m completely lost on this subject. Whatever method I decide to use for this background sound-file, it must allow for it to be played in the background without disturbing or in any way effecting the playing of my individual wav files, or the presentation as it is being displayed. Also, it may be that the background file will have to loop continuously until such time as the presentation is complete. I have no idea what format the user may wish to employ for this background sound...wav, midi, mp3, etc., so I need suggestions as to the best way to handle this. If Direct Sound is the answer, please tell me how to get started. I realize I''m asking a lot here, but I''ve no knowledge in this area, and so need whatever info I can get to start off! thanx in advance for any help!

Robert Meek dba Tangentals Design

Guest Anonymous Poster
as i said, using DirectSound would be a good idea - the only problem is you have to load all your sound data yourself - this means you have to write functions for encoding mp3, wav, and you must deal with sampling rates and stuff - you could also use the FMOD libary or Miles which make handling mp3''s and streaming from cd more easily AFAIK -

in any way, playing a sound wont disturb your background music since all sounds get mixed together in a buffer and this buffer will come right out of your speakers