Sign in to follow this  
tompish

multi dimensional array c++

x[IX(2,2)] is not x[4], because N isn't defined; IX also does not create anything, as it's a mathematical function to find the element in a 2D array given the row and column the element resides:

Assuming "x" is a pseudo-multi-dimensional array (i.e., is a contiguous 1D array), then no; the code will not work as expected since N is not defined:

#define IX(i,j) ((i)+(*N+2)*(j))

int width = 8;
int height = 6;
int* x = new int[ width * height ];

x[ IX(2, 3) ] = 1;
// expands to:
// x[ 2+(*N+2)*3 ] = 1;
// error: N is not defined

delete[] x;

What you probably want is:

#define IX(x,y,width) ((x)+width*(y))

int width = 8;
int height = 6;
int* x = new int[ width * height ];

x[IX(2,3,width)] = 2;

delete[] x;

What i want is to be able to find a specified value at a given row and column in a dim(A)=64 where A is a matrix.

So basically i want to access the values in a matrix like in Matlab if you know what that is :P

Quote:
Original post by tompish
What i want is to be able to find a specified value at a given row and column in a dim(A)=64 where A is a matrix.

So basically i want to access the values in a matrix like in Matlab if you know what that is :P

The second example by _fastcall shows you how to allocate, access, and delete the matrix. Did you try the code to see how it works?

If you can set the array size ahead of time and leave it that way, then just create a 2-dimensional array.

Otherwise, use boost::multi_array. Don't try to do your own memory management. Doing the necessary memory management work is a lot harder than the stuff you've already shown yourself not to understand, and there's no point to it, anyway: it can't really be done more efficiently than the library code does it.

i ran the #define IX(i,j) ((i)+(*N+2)*(j)) because in my program i define N later on and now everything seems to work.

tx for the help guys

Quote:
Original post by tompish
i ran the #define IX(i,j) ((i)+(*N+2)*(j)) because in my program i define N later

Why is N, the width of the matrix, a pointer? Why are you adding two to the width of the matrix?

I Have a class defined for handling the arrays so i use a pointer. And i looked in to all the advice and descided to not change my code too much because i allready found what was wrong in the first place. I appreciate all the help.