Sign in to follow this  
Lith

Developing for the ps2

Can someone point me in right direction for developing for the Playstation 2? Not officialy, just so i can get some experiance developing for consoles, and becuase i like the ps2, it was my first console. I have tryed searching ps2 homebrew and ps2 homebrew tutorial. But i dont get what they are saying This is what i have gatherd: I need to find a way of putting my programs on the ps2 i cant use the official dev kit I have downloaded something called "ps2gl" I have looked at the sample programs and i think it is kind of like an api for the ps2. So i think i got somewhere :)

I found the PSP to be a little more homebrew friendly, since you just need some custom firmware and you can transfer your program straight down the USB cable. The APIs are very similar too, so it's like developing for a PS2 but smaller.

Another homebrew friendly machine is the Dreamcast, which doesn't require anything special to burn off a disc that it'll boot.

Even better is Microsoft XNA - it's a supported homebrew channel and you can have games up and running on your Xbox 360 in less than 20 minutes. The documentation and support is fantastic, and it's a current gen console so you get to play around with shaders and allsorts of nice new gadgetry.

Intresting. But there is a problem with XNA, i think you have to make games in c#, and i use c++.

So, has anyone got some ideas as to how i would go about developing for the ps2?

ps2dev has links to download most the things you need.
You'll need to mod your ps2, or expoloit it to get software running on there.
You'll need a connector cable.
You'll need a lot of little tools and software (seems like you can run them all under MiniGW in windows, but like the PS3 dev tools, it might be easier to run it all under pure linux)

The PSP homebrew does seem easier, you need to use hacked firmware, but beyond that there isnt any hardware changes you need, and the only adapter you need is a USB to USB-mini.

Mind you I've programmed on psp and ps2, but never done homebrew. Both platforms are similar.
Both use MIPS assembly.
Both have similar APIs.
PSP is single core with supporting GPU and VFPU.
PS2 is multicore with a supporting GPU and programable co-processor.
I suspect debugging isn't fun with the homebrew setups.

Again, the ps3 could be another option for you. Get the correct version of it and you can install linux on there, and develop right on the console hardware. Really simple, and through the magic of SSH and X-fowarding, you can use your main linux box to do the development and debugging instead of having to use the PS3 as a development enviornment and test enviorment (it doesn't have a lot of ram to spare with all gui tools running).

You can buy a PS2 Linux dev kit. It will set you back the cost of the hardware, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the official Sony dev kit. The kit includes keyboard, mouse, a hard disk and a PS2 version of Linux and obviously the dev tools are also included.

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED]

[Edited by - jbadams on March 14, 2010 7:43:25 AM]