Sign in to follow this  
Beather

Direct3D9 Crash on XP but not Vista

Hi, I'm creating a game in VS2008 with Direct3D9, and when I compile it works fine on my Vista computer. I also tested it on other vista systems and they all work fine. On a XP computer however, it crashes on startup after showing a white screen. It doesn't say any details about why it crashes, just an unclear windows log file that doesn't make sense to me. I tried it with a very basic sample: "Hello Direct3D!" sample from Frank Luna. I compiled and ran it on multiple XP computers but it crashes. DirectX was always installed and updated on every computer! It is not an issue of not having VS runtimes either, they are also installed! Any ideas? Thank you! Nick [Edited by - Beather on February 22, 2010 1:32:46 AM]

There's no such hack. Someone tried it but abandoned it. If you know better, post a link. Besides, I think Beather is using D3D9 anyway.

Beather, what I'd suggest is that you install Visual Studio on XP and go through normal debugging. That's be the simplest way of finding problems. If you can't, try writing your own log file from within the program. That way you'll be able to find out where it crashes and what succeeded and didn't.

Another thought: if you're seeing a white screen, I assume that you're running your game in full screen mode (and it's actually starting). If that's the case, try running it in a window, and there's a chance you'll see an dialogue.

Thank you for your response!

I am running indeed Direct3D9, sorry for the mix-up. The game launches in windowed mode and then crashes without any dialogue except 'has encountered a problem and will now close..." message.

ET3D, I will install VS2008 XP and see if compiling works. Thanks for the hint, I will post here if it worked or not!

Nick

Update:

I got it to work on VirtualBox with Direct3D support enabled.

The thing that troubles me is that I only enabled Direct3D... and it works on virtualbox (host is vista) which uses the host's 3D-card.

I'm going to test it on another computer which has XP as the host system.

On windows vista direct3d9 does not have resets/device lost in most occasion cause of the new framework.
Try to check if you are disposing all DEFAULT resource correctly before calling reset on a LostDevice occasion. Its probably that the problem.