Code performance analysis - Profiler?

Started by
2 comments, last by Promit 14 years, 1 month ago
I'm writing a program in C# using Visual Studio 2008, and think I'm getting to the stage where I need to do some performance analysis on my code - look for bottlenecks and so forth. Can you recommend any suitable (preferably free) software that would be suitable for the task? An I right in thinking this kind of tool is known as a profiler? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Slimtune is a currently under-development tool to accomplish exactly this. I'm not sure if it is far enough along in development for your purposes though.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

A profiler may better suited for your needs but a good start in identifying where bottlenecks may be is to simply calculate the time elapsed during the execution of some portion of code if you haven't done so already.

Here's an example in VB but the concept is exactly the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172338
I'm releasing the next proper version of SlimTune within 24 hours, probably much less. Try it out tomorrow and let me know how it goes.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement