Sign in to follow this  
Kyro_FB

OpenGL FireBlade PE Rev2

Hey folks, maybe you remember this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=338296&whichpage=1� unfortuneately, I ain't able to access my old account since the email-address became invalid meantime and my password was resetted so I couldn't log on my old account in any way... There was much about this engine which happened in the meantime and I want to present it here on a new state of art. It was completely reworked and now is a lot faster, more reliable, more usable and more powerful than ever. Currently it is still based on Delphi/FPC and OpenGL, but it could, without any changes, also be used for DirectX applications either. Also, encapsulating the class functionality in a library is in work and so it will soon be available for other programming languages too. The License is currently LGPL, but will be changed to MPL soon. I would be pleased to see the FireBlade Particle Engine in your own project! And if you do so, I would be pleased to announce this on the projects web on sourceforge.net: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fireblade/ For help and support, please consider either the DelphiGL.com forum, project web help forums or contact me under the email-address you will find with the source files. With the source comes a small demonstration. Project Thread and Support Thread: Project: http://www.delphigl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3715 Support: http://www.delphigl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3717 Don't bother to post in english! You're welcome =) FireBlade has won the "Best Project of the Year 2008" award by DelphiGL.com To give you an overview of what you get, take a look at the following feature overview. Please note that this does not describe what you can actually get out of the engine. Particle Appearance: ● Support for standard quads and Point Sprites ● Billboards ● Blending function is choosable ● Color fading ● Texture fading ● Two modes for resizing during a particles life ● Two modes for color, texture and size interpolation ● Normals for a plastic appearance ● Rotation ● Smear effect with adaptive texture shifting ● Fast concurrent depth sorting, which nearly always has bestcase conditions ● Frustum culling Particle Physics: ● Two physics models, simple and realistic ● Movements calculated with Newtons laws ● Correct air resistance calculation ● Wind ● Fast, extensible collision detection with sphere, cube, cone, face and heightmap primitives built­in ● The collision trees are generated separately and can be used for several contexts ● Simple, overwritable collision friction model, featuring materials ● Magnet points with 5 predefined modes, including a realistic mass gravitation model Miscellaneous: ● Event­ driven effect creation possible, events for destroying, calculating, gravitating (magnet points) and colliding a particle ● Vertex storage choosable between Vertex Arrays, Vertex Buffer Objects or user defined storage methods ● Several parts of the calculation (physics, appearance, vertex calculation) can be disabled if not necessary, to increase the performance ● Each calculation can be modified or overwritten. full access up to the particles vertices. This guarantees a maximum of flexibility ● Preallocation of memory possible Emitters: ● General emitter functionality ○ Compatible with the effect manager ○ Fill delay and emitter lifespan ○ Automatic refill ○ Level of Detail ○ Not statically connected to one context, can be used to fill several contexts ○ Two Velocity modes, point orientation and controllable randomized initial velocities ○ Several renderpasses possible (with different blending functions) ● Sphere emitter ○ Emits particles between an inner and outer radius ○ Spawning region controllable ● Cube emitter ○ Emits particles in a cube with variable width, height and depth ● Cone emitter ○ Emits particles in or on a cone with variable base radius, top radius and height ○ When spawning on a surface, base and/or top plane can be excluded from the spawn region ○ Presumption fix can be enabled for a homogenious spawning ● Face emitter ○ Spawns particles on a surface described by triangles ○ The triangles may be generated the same way as in OpenGL ○ Transformation of the initial velocity by the triangles matrix can be enabled ● Font emitter ○ Writes texts using particles ○ The font itself is generated separately from a btimap (so called bitmap­fonts) and can be used for several font emitters ○ Mono­ and Polyspace choosable ○ Character and Linegap variable Effect Manager: ● comfortable handling of particle effects ● Global manipulation functions for registered effects ● Frustum culling ● Depth sorting ● Efficient time delays adjustable for updating effects, which can enormously increase the performance ● Cone emitter ○ Emits particles in or on a cone with variable base radius, top radius and height ○ When spawning on a surface, base and/or top plane can be excluded from the spawn region ○ Presumption fix can be enabled for a homogenious spawning ● Face emitter ○ Spawns particles on a surface described by triangles ○ The triangles may be generated the same way as in OpenGL ○ Transformation of the initial velocity by the triangles matrix can be enabled ● Font emitter ○ Writes texts using particles ○ The font itself is generated separately from a btimap (so called bitmap­fonts) and can be used for several font emitters ○ Mono­ and Polyspace choosable ○ Character and Linegap variable Effect Manager: ● comfortable handling of particle effects ● Global manipulation functions for registered effects ● Frustum culling ● Depth sorting ● Efficient time delays adjustable for updating effects, which can enormously increase the performance I would be pleased about some feedback! Best Regards, Sebastian