Sign in to follow this  
vivendi

writing exporter for 3d max

I want to write an exporter plugin for a skeletal animation system and for the world format. But i'm not sure where to begin. So i was hoping anyone here knows a good site / book to start with??

Not sure which version of 3ds max you are using but in 3ds max 9 go to help->Maxscript Reference
In the contents panel go to How To - Practical Examples->How to Read/Write Geometry from/to text file It is a good starting example and what I used to learn Maxscript. Just a hint... The Maxscript Reference will be your best friend. The example provide is basic and doesn't show how to do the stuff you mention such as skeletal animation but it should help you get your feet wet. The same principles in this basic example can be extended to write to binary files, skeletal animation, and just about anything else (Just have to look through the reference and google).

I have also read somewhere that another method for plugins is through the 3ds max sdk but I have no experience or knowledge about this so I can't help you there.

If you would like I could pm you the maxscript I made for exporting my models to a custom format. It doesn't have the features you want but it might be the next step up from that primer example on your way to a full fledged exporter of your own. Let me know if you want to take a look and I will send it your way.

Thanks i'll definitely have a look at it. It sounds like a good starting point. I'm using 3D Max 2009 though, but i don't think that should differ to much.

I'm also interested in your max script. It's always good to have a good 'example code' to look at while going through the 'How To' of 3D Max :)