Directxtutorial.com is not THAT bad?

Started by
0 comments, last by Evil Steve 14 years, 2 months ago
It seems that everyone here dislikes that site for various reasons (i know them, no need for you to tell me why you hate it :)) But i've looked and frankly i can't find any better sites out there that teach directx. As for evil steve's site, it's not very easy to learn from there and it can get very confusing really.. It helped me with stuff like AdjustWindowRect() though.. All in all, all the bad habits one learns from directxtutorial.com can be unlearned and replaced with better ones. You might say why learn the bad habits in the first place, but until someone tells me where i can exactly do that, well.. And yeah i know some books are excellent but i have to order mine online and it will take a while for it to reach me so until then, online tutorials are the only choice for me.
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Waaayoff
As for evil steve's site, it's not very easy to learn from there and it can get very confusing really.. It helped me with stuff like AdjustWindowRect() though..
Yeah, I'm not really the best at writing things that are easy to follow I'm afraid. If you know of anything in particular that was difficult to follow, let me know and I'll try to explain it better and edit the article accordingly.

All in all, all the bad habits one learns from directxtutorial.com can be unlearned and replaced with better ones. You might say why learn the bad habits in the first place, but until someone tells me where i can exactly do that, well..
My main gripe with the side is that you have to pay to see some of the more advanced tutorials. I've seen quite a few users here saying how easy it is to follow (Which I admit it is), and then saying that they paid to see some of the later tutorials. I don't have any problem with paying for tutorials, but only if they're high enough quality - which I don't think they are.
Bad habits are hard to break, and I don't think a tutorial site should be teaching them at all.

And yeah i know some books are excellent but i have to order mine online and it will take a while for it to reach me so until then, online tutorials are the only choice for me.
I'm always hesitant about books as well - a good book can be very useful, but it gets out of date extremely quickly. It's probably better now that DX9 is pretty much fixed, and is likely to be around for a few years yet, but I'd still prefer to look for tutorials online.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement