Sign in to follow this  

Graph reduction to complete subgraphs

This topic is 2848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can not answer your question, I am now interested though after having looked it up. This seems to have implications in how functional programming, such as Haskel, is implemented as is described by Wiki Graph Reduction! I can not find reference in my reference text but I probably have to look for more specific subjects. I can now add lazy evaluation to my list of needs to be researched; functional programming seems rather novel. May I ask why you are looking and what you are looking to do? If you don't mind!

I think this should do:
* Pick the node with the smallest degree.
* Remove it and all the edges that touch it.
* Rinse, repeat.

In case you are not familiar with the term, the degree of a node is the number of edges that touch it.

Quote:
Original post by alvaro
I think this should do:
* Rinse, repeat.

In case you are not familiar with the term, the degree of a node is the number of edges that touch it.

Can you repeat that in Matrix?

Quote:
Original post by Buttacup
Quote:
Original post by alvaro
I think this should do:
* Rinse, repeat.

I don't understand. I didn't understand your previous post either, so I limited myself to answering the original question.

Quote:

Ummmm? You mean this?:

I have an nxn adjacency matrix A. I multiply it by a vector of all ones. This gives me a vector of node degrees. I find which element of this vector is smallest -- say it's the k-th one. Then I delete the kth row and column of the adjacency matrix; this gives me a new (n-1)x(n-1) adjacency matrix.

Granted, I haven't thought at all about whether this algorithm works; all I did was "translate."

Quote:
Original post by Emergent
Quote:

Ummmm? You mean this?:

I have an nxn adjacency matrix A. I multiply it by a vector of all ones. This gives me a vector of node degrees. I find which element of this vector is smallest -- say it's the k-th one. Then I delete the kth row and column of the adjacency matrix; this gives me a new (n-1)x(n-1) adjacency matrix.

Granted, I haven't thought at all about whether this algorithm works; all I did was "translate."

Nice, I will look that over this is pretty new to me!

I think this is where I'm headed. I'm also seeing some answers here to a question I posted in a previous thread elsewhere on how one would formulate a set of algorithms to solve a Chromatic Graph problem such as Sudoku! It would still be nice to know what the original poster was up to :D

[edit]
Canonical form of a matrix, for planarity testing <=== ahhhhhh

[Edited by - Buttacup on February 25, 2010 11:47:07 AM]

This topic is 2848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.