Sign in to follow this  
Madalina

Direct3D mesh and texture

Hello. I am new on Direct3D programming and I have a problem I can't seem to fix. First of all, I am using DirectX 9. I am trying to create a polygon mesh and put a texture to it but it doesn't seem to work. I have added a cube to check if the texture is loaded properly and I can see the picture on the cube but not on the mesh. The code is the following: // create the texture if(FAILED(D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( m_pDX3dDevice, // the Direct3D device _T("Picture.jpg"), // the filename of the texture &m_pTexture))) // the address of the texture storage m_pTexture = NULL; D3DXCreatePolygon(m_pDX3dDevice,5,4,&m_pRectMesh,NULL); //create the mesh D3DXCreatePolygon(d3ddev,10,4,&m_pRectMesh,NULL); ..... // set the texture d3ddev->SetTexture(0, texture); // set the FVF to allow texturing LPD3DXMESH pClone; if ( !(m_pRectMesh->GetFVF() & D3DFVF_TEX1) ) { m_pRectMesh->CloneMeshFVF (D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM, m_pRectMesh->GetFVF() | D3DFVF_TEX1, d3ddev, &pClone); if ( m_pRectMesh != NULL ) m_pRectMesh->Release(); m_pRectMesh = pClone; } // draw the cube d3ddev->DrawIndexedPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 0, 24, 0, 12); m_pRectMesh->DrawSubset(0); Can you please help me and tell me if there is something i'm doing wrong? Best regards, Madalina

As you appear to realize, the polygon isn't created with tex coords. After you create a mesh with tex coords, you'll have to set them. I'm guessing they're initialized to (0,0).

EDIT: you create the polygon twice? Also, do you have 2 devices?

I didn't create the polygon twice and I have only one device. The problem is, probably, as you mentioned that i have to set manually the texture coordinates. I didn't think about that. Thank you. It was very helpful. I'll try it and announce the results.

Maybe you're just posting some old code or something.
Quote:

D3DXCreatePolygon(m_pDX3dDevice,5,4,&m_pRectMesh,NULL);
//create the mesh
D3DXCreatePolygon(d3ddev,10,4,&m_pRectMesh,NULL);

Two creations, two devices.

Sorry, it is because I made a test project besides the original one, to be able to do exactly what I want independently and I copied probably wrong.