Phone Interview?

Started by
11 comments, last by silentassassin2010 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi All, so I got a programming interview which involved coding and math, and now ive been called for another interview next week, what can I expect? more math and programming or just general discussion stuff...?
Advertisement
Depends on the company, and depends on the level of coding and math. It might be higher coding and math to whittle down candidates further since some might be close, or if the original interview was a little light. It might be a talk with the manager/director about personality and work ethic, especially if the first interview was just with a tech-lead or peers. It might be an interview with the hiring manager or hr to work out salary/benefit expectations...

Who knows? There's not just one standard format for talent evaluation.
@Telastyn: thanks for the info... I'm a little nervous because its quite a big company, and I'm not bad, like my coding and math skills are quite strong but I make stupid mistakes under pressure, I'd prefer to do something in person :( o well... time will tell.
Quote:Original post by silentassassin2010
Hi All, so I got a programming interview which involved coding and math, and now ive been called for another interview next week, what can I expect? more math and programming or just general discussion stuff...?

You say you were called for an interview, but your thread topic says 'phone interview'.

A phone interview generally means that you made their minimum cut, but they aren't quite ready to spend for a face-to-face with several people. They'll ask you some basic questions to make sure you sound like you know the stuff you say on paper. If you look good on paper and sound good with the quick questions, they'll call you in.

During any interview they will ask you questions about basically anything they want. They want to get to know you before you spend the next several years together. You are expected to ask questions back.

They are trying to determine if you will do the job well, and if you will fit in. That includes questions about your technical competencies and personality.

They might ask questions about your programming ability, about your math skills. They might ask about your work history, educational history, details of projects you have done. They might ask questions about what hobbies you have, what music and movies you enjoy, or if you like sports. They just want to get to know the stranger sitting across from them.

There are only a few things they cannot ask you, generally forbidden for discrimination or other legal reasons.

Your questions (and you should be asking questions!) ought to determine if you will be able to do the job they expect, and if you will feel good about working there.
@frob - sorry i meant, they want to call me next week for a phone interview. but thanks for the reply, that and others on the forum give me an idea what to expect.
Just came across this page. You might find it interesting,

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Was the first interview a phone interview?

Unless you're simply not local to any of their offices, usually you get a phone screen first to check technical competency and then a face-to-face if that goes well. Or perhaps who they want you to interview with isn't local to your local office...
@Telastyn - nope, programming / math test first, phone interview to follow

@ jjd - thanks a lot, ill check it out!
Anything to do with social networking by any chance?
Normally, when you get a second call, you made it past the first step. Keep going until there are no longer any steps. There isn't much more you can focus on than what you know. Your experience will speak for itself.
Honesty is the key. Don't just staple "tricks of the trade" in the interview. They read these forums as much as you, and they'll know if they've seen the pre-made answer somewhere around. There is no better way to answer a question than your own... unless its specifically a maths question. :P
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
I agree with frob.
You have to have questions, and smart questions (prepare with some), and not small technical questions ("What color will the office have?" for example).

It's hard, you have to look into the company in detail, to be able to ask good questions. At least one or two, that may start a little discussion, so be ready with further questions too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement