Sign in to follow this  
geo2004

floorcaek, bears, and EAT ROPE

geo2004    154
So I've been browsing these forums for over 2 years now, and it seems like every now and then a random topic comes up. The most recent one I saw was the reference to floorcaek (in the Epic Beard Man thread). I finally tracked down this which kind of explained it. I have also noticed a lot of references to bears (this also came up in the Epic Beard Man thread, but most notably here). And of course >EAT ROPE!, which after some research appears to have originated here. I got a kick out of reading the EAT ROPE story, and the others are interesting to say the least. I have 2 questions: 1. Are there other things/words/topics that are GD's own that are totally random and obscure, and 2. what's with the bears? I still haven't figured that one out.

Moe    1256
Quote:
Original post by Yann L
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
one does not speak of such things.

TA does not and has never existed, poppet.

Wow. It's been a while since I haven't been to TA (seeing as how it doesn't exist).

To answer the OP's questions:
1. I'm sure there are. I've probably forgotten much of them though. That sort of thing happens with old age. Just don't ask about scanner CDs. Or goats that can see. (I personally, have seen neither, thankfully).
2. I don't know, but it does remind me of a joke:

A bear walks into a bar, sits down, and asks the bartender "Can I have a gin... and tonic." The bartender says "OK. But why the pause?". The pear holds up his paws and says "We'll I'm a bear, you idiot!".

(It's more entertaining in person).

Yann L    1802
Quote:
Original post by Moe
1. I'm sure there are. I've probably forgotten much of them though. That sort of thing happens with old age. Just don't ask about scanner CDs. Or goats that can see. (I personally, have seen neither, thankfully).

Remember that thread where nes was looking for a bakery to make him a birthday cake with a picture of the goat printed on top of it... I would've paid money to see a vid of him actually attempting this (including the part where he would've been arrested ;)

Man, we were fucking immature back then :)

geo2004    154
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Just don't ask about scanner CDs. Or goats that can see. (I personally, have seen neither, thankfully).

Ha, unfortunately I'm familiar with goats that can see (co-workers introduced me), and I think seeing someone trying to get a cake printed with one would be hilarious!

cowsarenotevil    3001
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Wow. It's been a while since I haven't been to TA (seeing as how it doesn't exist).

I really only ATE WAFFLES once or twice when gamedev went down and the only thing I remember is something along the lines of "Gamedev is like a fat kid running around in circles. Eventually it just dies."

*corrected

[Edited by - cowsarenotevil on February 23, 2010 7:02:45 PM]

tstrimp    1798
Quote:
Original post by geo2004
So I've been browsing these forums for over 2 years now, and it seems like every now and then a random topic comes up. The most recent one I saw was the reference to floorcaek (in the Epic Beard Man thread). I finally tracked down this which kind of explained it. I have also noticed a lot of references to bears (this also came up in the Epic Beard Man thread, but most notably here). And of course >EAT ROPE!, which after some research appears to have originated here.

I got a kick out of reading the EAT ROPE story, and the others are interesting to say the least. I have 2 questions: 1. Are there other things/words/topics that are GD's own that are totally random and obscure, and 2. what's with the bears? I still haven't figured that one out.

How could you have left out the Giant Space Pipe?!

Also, "There is always the single player campaign." No luck finding the OP on that one though. It was probably deleted, is was quite distasteful (but very funny in an I'm going to hell kinda way).

[Edited by - tstrimp on February 23, 2010 7:33:22 PM]

Quote:

I want to make a hockey MMORPG using HTML with variables.

By any chance would this be storing its data using that newfangled mp3 compression beating algorithm?

Also, let's not forget that horrible gamdev.net offshoot of general mayhem's HELMUT thread.

benryves    1999
I really think we should be trying to resist this sort of thread.
Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
No luck finding the OP on that one though. It was probably deleted, is was quite distasteful (but very funny in an I'm going to hell kinda way).
It's only the first result. [wink] I wonder what happened to Kuato, or if Toxic Hippo ever got the girl (with or without an iPod)?

Yann L    1802
In no particular order:

New topic theory
MP3 beating compression
Specular Lightosis
Landfish and EGG
The ultimate thread
Blackmage and the Mexican wrestler incident
Yoda, Fongerchat and all that stuff. Poppet.
The Warsong collection
The pink gang
Resist banners
Go jump off a cliff
Feelevil and his numerous plots of wiping out humanity
That incident where someone (I think it was AdmiralBinary) SQL injected the GDNet database and run a script that would offset all topic IDs by one
The resulting witchhunt and SHilbert's GDNet 'hack'
The fork story
The rise and fall of Bishop_pass
Nurgle being demodded for massive power abuse
The G art competition
Basically everything involving Nes or Pouya
Nope and "uh, no"

and probably many more I forgot.

Oh yeah, and then the short, yet very intense time span between the moment someone realized that you could insert javascript into your posts and the staff blocking it...

Hodgman    51220
Quote:
Original post by Yann L
Oh yeah, and then the short, yet very intense time span between the moment someone realized that you could insert javascript into your posts and the staff blocking it...
javascript is blocked? (I guess the incident you're talking about was plain <script> tags?)

I got ~70 rating points in one day when I posted my javascript DIY spoiler tag ;)

Yann L    1802
Back then you could insert code that would execute by simply viewing a thread. That was, uh, interesting... Nowadays Superpig would probably insta-ban anyone for even thinking about trying this [wink]

Moe    1256
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
It took a while to strip out CSS styling as well. I ended up putting a bunch of all over the site, positioned absolutely. Ahhh, fun times.

Another month or so and it'll be April 1st... :P

KulSeran    3267
Or dig up some pirate_lord or abaraba (he has tonnes of aliases on this site too cause he keeps getting banned).

I have to agree
I think Bishop_pass is a pretty cool guy, eh reminds me of memes and doesn't afraid of anything.

though i'm entierly lost as to finding a source for the mentions of "RESIST banner" thing.
though i found this interesting quote:
Quote:

Eight Rules of GameDev Forums
1. You do not talk about GameDev
2. You do NOT talk about GameDev
3. Moderator yells stop, goes limp, locks us out; the thread is over
4. Only 2 sides to a flamewar
5. One forum at a time fellas
6. No shirts, no underwear
7. Threads will go on as long as they have to
8. If this is your first time at GameDev, you have to create a Resist banner.

And my searchings also lead me to learn How to know if my child is a hacker.
For those interested I think i finally found a link to explain "TA does not and has never existed, poppet." (mods correct me if I'm lost!)
And thanks Yann L. for reminding me how easy it is to make tetris

Quote:

Origional post by Promit
ok

ok

[Edited by - KulSeran on February 24, 2010 1:35:01 AM]

Yann L    1802
Quote:
Original post by KulSeran
though i'm entierly lost as to finding a source for the mentions of "RESIST banner" thing.

I'll quote Andrew Russell on that one:

Quote:
Original post by Andrew Russell
Resist banners started like this:

Null and Void made a banner to "Resist Windows XP invasive product activation"

nes8bit, being the Windows lover/linux hater he is decided to modify the banner to be be his own "Resist Linux Communisum"

Everything was ok for months, but just for fun, I decided to even the score by grabing a pic of nes and creating a "Resist nes8bit" banner.

From there, people started making resist banners in their hundresds. There have also been several revivals of this.

I have every single Resist banner (from the original and the revivals, and the accept banners too) on my hard disk. There are about 200 of them. Because I save every one to disk, A recent revival I complained about people wasting my disk space - and my hard disk was promptly resisted ;)

Anyway, I could probably put them together nicely, and a few of them have intresting back-stories to go along with them. Email me if you want it.

RESIST nes8bit :: BOW DOWN to linux communisum