Sign in to follow this  
janta

[c++] compiler warning when unsigned used in "less than 0" comparison?

Anyone knows if some compiler have such a warning? Do you see any reason they shouldn't? In my experience it could be usefull to catch some stupid mistakes. The most famous probably being iterating backwards on an array like for "(uint i = size - 1; i < 0 ; i--)", though being bitten by this tends to be immediately noticeable, but in other situations it can be more subtle What do you think?

I assume you mean for(unsigned int i = size - 1; i >= 0; i--).

I'm not sure how useful it would be in general, since this is only one very specific case of integer overflow. You do get a warning if you have unsigned int and int on either side of the comparison (i.e. int a = 0; for(unsigned int i = size - 1; i >= a; i--) will give you a warning).

Much more subtle examples of integer overflow would be things like if (a + 100 > c) and there's just no way you can expect the compiler to warn you about that. Even more subtle is this one

That's my point Pallidine, I never came across a situation where a programmer actually writes (u < 0) as an intentionally always true condition. In my experience it's always a mistake that leads to unintended behavior, hence I think a warning would be nice,

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
I assume you mean for(unsigned int i = size - 1; i >= 0; i--).

Yes sorry :)

gcc indeed has such a warning. Invoke with -Wall, and it will tell you about most of your shady practices like this. How to get equivalent effects with other compilers, I can't tell you.