Sign in to follow this  

Games Design graduate with Idea needs responses and ideas on getting a team

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The Idea is below and was entered in Dare to be digital as an Idea to be chosen I think it has merit. The idea submitted is quite refined, I would like to start a demo 3D or flash, the only thing I was good at whilst at Uni was unique concepts and document compiling, something that is useless to new entrants in the field but was what the course focused on instead of individual areas.... here's the idea Continentual Overlord- Real time strategy cinematic beat em up Summary A Continentual Overlord is a character made from a bipedal continent/ landmass. It is host to 16 cities and their respective armies, who fight against other Continentual Overlords in an online environment. Up to 4 overlords on screen. Overlords can be visually damaged, and battles are part physical confrontations of nationalized fighting techniques between different colossal overlords, (akin to a beat em up) and part RTS gameplay between the many cities that filter onto and invade other overlords cities. Cities may also carry out short ranged attacks on other cities that reside on an opposing overlords. Cinematic control has the computer control a pre-scripted battle that is designed for its extravagant magnitude. It leaves the players free to concentrate on controlling the RTS side of the game and the camera. It allows for variables that user controlled fighting (optional later on) wouldn’t allow. The key is to spot when you are in the best position to attack or defend and ensure you react in time as over the course of the fight both teams will be given an equal opportunity to win. Players can also set gambit systems, (predefined orders to each individual city under your control to react to different types of enemies and different types of physical positions). The success of an RTS battle will be intertwined with the body position of the overlord who constantly wrestles for a vantage point. A good vantage point will allow your troops to cross over and attack the opposing overlord whilst only taking minimal damage and insurgents. Players risk sending a certain % to attack or defend, and can reinforce by sending troops from different cities to defend another- co-op It is a co-op experience so 4 player’s each control 4 of the 16 cities on one overlord. Each overlord has a unique melee weapon, terrain, stonework and vegetation, these would be a mix of the two different national and geographical locations the residents come from. For example a mix of oriental and native american....... artists go wild Who would play and why? A social RTS fan, who wants something fresh and unique in gameplay terms. Who or what influenced design idea 1: Shadow of the colossus 2: UFC 3: RTS and the Black and white 2 games What are the most important aspects? 1: Colossus with cities- main gameplay mechanic 2: Ability to send reinforcements to help other players cities 3: gambit to help manage strategy, hectic set pieces, actual fighting with only has the last seen of a level be affected by game play but visual damage What makes this game different 1: Colossus with cities- main gameplay mechanic 2: possibility of being evicted from your original colossus if you lose 3: co-op What do people feel? 1: Socially Connected visually engaged - visual cues = decay of terrain 2: Excitement at playing during cinematic set pieces waiting for outcome 3: Challenged

Wondolish, the subject line of your post stated that you need "responses and ideas on getting a team." I didn't see in your post what kind of responses you're looking for, or what your questions are about forming a team...?

Good point, in general I would like comments regarding the uniqueness of the concept ( have you seen it before know of any community building a game like it) and whether you feel a whole game/ story could be built around the core mechanics listed. Is this a type of hybrid game an RTS player would consider? Or more importantly would it be a good enough concept to interest talented team members to want to contribute?

on the team building side, ive read other posts which focus on getting responses on ideas but not on getting a team. After concept what would be the suggested path to build a team, for example a 3D rts game would require X development engine and so I should check out x forum. i'd like to know if there are forums where I could recruit. I know in most game mods the team is built from players in clans and such, should I look to join an RTS mod clan?

So basically if we remove the beat'em up gimmick which is pretty irrelevant as players can't control it it's just like a tired old RTS with random map-changing events, a very rigid game structure and a borked user interface. I suppose when the continent guy dudes hit each other players can move armies on the other side - so basically portals kind of randomly emerge to another realm and area damage kind of randomly hits here and there.

Quote:
Original post by Wondolish
After concept what would be the suggested path to build a team...?

I'd suggest building a team first, and letting the team contribute to the concept, rather than starting with a concept and then getting a team. I assume we're talking amateurs here, and they'll be likely more enthusiastic about the project if it's partly their own idea.

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.