• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
schragnasher

OpenGL Win7 performance issue

This topic is 3216 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an issue with a simple GUI iv started working on for a simple space trader game. Iv made opengl games before and had no performance issues like im having now. Its a very odd issue. I have a draggable window widget that follows the mouse when i hold the button over it. In general it works perfect, and it silky smooth on XP and vista machines, but when i run it on my win7 box it seems like its dropping framerate, but according to FRAPS im getting 60 FPS which is fine. It just looks like its choppy or something, its hard to explain. Is there any kind of known issue with win 7 that might be effecting how the drag operation looks? Its a simple render as well, just a single colored quad right now. Iv made an asteroids using much the same code and have no such smoothness issue.

Advertisement
I'm guessing something to do with the mouse input code might be playing up, not the rendering/frame-rate.

How does your game find out where the mouse position is?

I thought that as well. Seems odd to not cause a problem on my other machines, though i am using a much more precise mouse, a razer, on the win7 machine.

Basically i get windows mousemove events and send them into my Input class, which emits a signal/slot which my GUIManager is connected to.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!