Sign in to follow this  

Are there any libraries for lightmapping?

This topic is 2848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a ridiculous amount of time searching for solutions to adding lightmapping to my level editor. Eventually I gave up. Although it's possible to generate the lightmaps in another editor and import the result into my editor it's not ideal. The main reason being that the lightmaps don't always take into account all the objects in the scene. So, does anyone know of any libraries that would help implementing lightmapping into a level editor?

I don't know of any libraries, but the light-mapping source code used in the Quake and Half-Life games are all available for examination and they're mature implementations.

The Quake II code in particular is quite small and includes radiosity light-mapping.

Thanks. Looks like that's the way I'm going to have to go.

I did find a couple of tutorials and had a go at implementing it once already but it didn't turn out great. It's probably one of those things that will 'click' next time I have a go.

This topic is 2848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.