which language to start?

Started by
6 comments, last by ozak 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys, I'm using Python for a while but never done something about gaming.. So, which language should I choose to begin game programming? Java, C#, C++? Or can Python work in game programming? Next year, I will be in CE department, now I'm learning English.. I'm interested with game engines or artificial intelligence, which language is being used for which purpose? Can scripting languages like Python be useful for game programming? If no, what is the problem with scripting language? Just speed or any other problems? Thanks
Advertisement
Python is an excellent language for game development.

Whether or not a language is a "scripting language" has more to do with how it is used, not some property of the language itself. If a language is used to augment a program, one would typically consider it a scripting language in that context. But that doesn't make it less of a programming language.
So any advices? Is "going with python good for me? I looked at some ad posts from bioware, epic games, etc. and there are no jobs related with python, why is that? Why any professional game developers don't use Python?

Do I need C, C++, C# or java still?

Sorry for my English..
A lot of developers use Python or Lua for scripting, but the main game/engine is written in C and/or C++ usually.
I would actually recommend Löve, a game framework for Lua. Lua is an excellent first language to learn, and the Löve framework allows you to produce your own executables to distribute, which is a plus. It's also very powerful.
If you want to find out if Python is being used in game development, don't just look up companies you've heard of and see if their jobs require Python; actually search for python game development jobs.

Results 1 - 10 of about 434,000 for python game development jobs. (0.47 seconds)
So you think it can be done with Python? Am I in the right way? Or any other advices expect Lua :)
If you want to become a developer you will learn many different languages throughout your career. I have just got my first job as an application developer (not games :-( ) and I have been told I will need to learn Java in order to convert older systems from VB.

I personally started with C/C++ and it was hard to learn as a first language. You have to think what YOU want to achieve. If you want to be able to make "stuff" quickly and easily then python is good. If at a later date you feel you want to be able to do more complex things then you can always look at C++ then.

If your still a little lost, get yourself a python and C++ (or any other language) and read the first chapter of each. The book that you felt most comfortable with at the end is the winner ;-)
I say stick with python. It's just a language. it's more important to finish some games to show that you can deliver. Not too many people get to that point :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement