Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Developer101

Changing polygon count of objects

Does anyone know of a downloadable utility that will import an object and allow you to increase decrease the polygon count in it? Sometimes you find models that are really too detailed and have way more polygons that you actually need in the object. I need a way to decrease that number on some models. Thanks for any help.

I use blender for my models, and they have just incorperated a function to decrease the number of polys in a model. They call it a deciamtor. Generally i make a low poly model, and add to that to create a medium and high poly version. Then inside my program i create a display list for each one, or for just the ones being used, depending on the users options, and the number of models involved.

I doubt that you will be able to locate something that will do exactly what you are looking for, but who knows.

If you have an ATI Rage128 or Radeon, you can use PN Triangles to up the poly count durring rendering, but it''s kind of slow because it''s done in software (at least till the R200 is out).