Sign in to follow this  

Free library handling rigid body destruction ?

This topic is 2839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Do you know of any free library that would handle rigid body destruction / fractures ? What would be the most relevant approach to include real-time destruction in games, is there any other method than the finite element ? Thanks for any hint !

Well, there are some interesting technologies out there. Probably the most well known is "Digital Molecular Matter" from Pixelux Entertainment. This does 'proper' physical analysis via the finite element method to simulate realistic destruction. It was used in one of the Star Wars games but apart from that I don't know if it has been used in practice. And it is a long way from free.

Otherwise, I believe some of the major physics engines provide tools for 'pre-fracturing' meshes so that you can break them in pre-determined but realistic ways. I wish I could be mose specific about this, but I remember hearing about this feature in the Open Source Bullet engine, and so I'm sure the commercial (but free) engines would provide it as well.

Lastly you might want to look at the link in my signature, as I have done a lot of work on modelling destrucible worlds with voxels (under the free zlib license). Maybe it is interesting to you.

Hope that helps...

The Newton Game Dynamics library has destruction in its latest releases. There's a video demo in the forum for it, but heres the version on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWgER5O1YI

Quote:
Original post by Shael
The Newton Game Dynamics library has destruction in its latest releases. There's a video demo in the forum for it, but heres the version on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWgER5O1YI
The problem I see with that type of solution is that 'falling into bits' isn't useful unless tied to a structural integrity solution (such as seen in Red Faction 2).

When the user destroys several pillars in that video, the bridge should buckle and collapse, not merrily hang there in mid-air. Unfortunately, I fear that the structural part is the hard part to implement.

Thanks for the link to the paper, InvalidPtr, is there inside everything needed to implement a deformation engine ? I didn't finish reading but I already have troubles trying to understand when do the value lambda and mu come from in equation (2) and above (element stress formula with sigma), is it related to material properties ?

Lamda and Mu are the Lamé constants for the material, which relates stress to strain. The article assumes you're familiar with most of the references, so try skimming through a few of those first. "Real-Time Simulation of Deformation and Fracture of Stiff Materials" looks like a pretty good one to start with.

Quote:
Original post by Shael

Wow, that's really cool! Has the mesh been prefractured (so it falls into the same peices each time) or is the fracturing really being calculated in realtime (like DMM)? Either way, I like it.

AFAIK Newton just precomputes fractured meshes, either as part of your content pipeline or at initialisation time, so the fracture parts for a particular mesh will be the same each time. I would be impressed to see something like DMM for free... I suppose it will happen eventually but for now it's not even a standard feature in physics middlewares, so it could be a while.

Quote:
Original post by PolyVox
Well, there are some interesting technologies out there. Probably the most well known is "Digital Molecular Matter" from Pixelux Entertainment. This does 'proper' physical analysis via the finite element method to simulate realistic destruction. It was used in one of the Star Wars games but apart from that I don't know if it has been used in practice. And it is a long way from free.

The way isn't quite as long as you thought...

Quote:
Original post by mrwonko
The way isn't quite as long as you thought...

Wow, that's pretty cool! Though it's not entirely clear who qualifies for a free copy of Digital Molecular Matter. The announcement on the Bullet physics website says:
Quote:
AMD announced that it's giving away a free version of Pixelux's DMM2 material physics engine to selected game developers

Still, it's got to be a good thing for getting this technology into more games. Hopefully we'll soon see if it really works as well as they claim...

Quote:
Original post by PolyVox
Wow, that's pretty cool! Though it's not entirely clear who qualifies for a free copy of Digital Molecular Matter. The announcement on the Bullet physics website says:
Quote:
AMD announced that it's giving away a free version of Pixelux's DMM2 material physics engine to selected game developers

Yeah, it's not very clear... I already pointed that out on the pixelux forums. Though one of the developers there states that...
Quote:
Original post by dmmjedi
As you guys know, everyone has wanted a viewer to play around with DMM. With this announcement, we have gone a step beyond that and created a free version that you guys can use to create games.

I hopy it will really be available for everyone... Maybe there's some kind of beta phase where only selected developers get to use it? I guess AMD will say something at the Game Developer's Conference.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:
Original post by Shael
The problem I see with that type of solution is that 'falling into bits' isn't useful unless tied to a structural integrity solution (such as seen in Red Faction 2).

When the user destroys several pillars in that video, the bridge should buckle and collapse, not merrily hang there in mid-air. Unfortunately, I fear that the structural part is the hard part to implement.

I think this will be overcome in future versions. It's still a work in progress.

This topic is 2839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.