Free library handling rigid body destruction ?

Started by
12 comments, last by Shael 14 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by PolyVox
Well, there are some interesting technologies out there. Probably the most well known is "Digital Molecular Matter" from Pixelux Entertainment. This does 'proper' physical analysis via the finite element method to simulate realistic destruction. It was used in one of the Star Wars games but apart from that I don't know if it has been used in practice. And it is a long way from free.

The way isn't quite as long as you thought...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by mrwonko
The way isn't quite as long as you thought...

Wow, that's pretty cool! Though it's not entirely clear who qualifies for a free copy of Digital Molecular Matter. The announcement on the Bullet physics website says:
Quote:AMD announced that it's giving away a free version of Pixelux's DMM2 material physics engine to selected game developers

Still, it's got to be a good thing for getting this technology into more games. Hopefully we'll soon see if it really works as well as they claim...
Quote:Original post by PolyVox
Wow, that's pretty cool! Though it's not entirely clear who qualifies for a free copy of Digital Molecular Matter. The announcement on the Bullet physics website says:
Quote:AMD announced that it's giving away a free version of Pixelux's DMM2 material physics engine to selected game developers

Yeah, it's not very clear... I already pointed that out on the pixelux forums. Though one of the developers there states that...
Quote:Original post by dmmjedi
As you guys know, everyone has wanted a viewer to play around with DMM. With this announcement, we have gone a step beyond that and created a free version that you guys can use to create games.

I hopy it will really be available for everyone... Maybe there's some kind of beta phase where only selected developers get to use it? I guess AMD will say something at the Game Developer's Conference.
Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by Shael
The Newton Game Dynamics library has destruction in its latest releases. There's a video demo in the forum for it, but heres the version on youtube:
The problem I see with that type of solution is that 'falling into bits' isn't useful unless tied to a structural integrity solution (such as seen in Red Faction 2).

When the user destroys several pillars in that video, the bridge should buckle and collapse, not merrily hang there in mid-air. Unfortunately, I fear that the structural part is the hard part to implement.

I think this will be overcome in future versions. It's still a work in progress.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement