Sign in to follow this  
sponsz

OpenGL Model Loading Library?

Hi, is there a fairly basic model loading and display library in C++ that will handle some common format along with textures? Possibly Sketchup models? Animations aren't necessary. Possibly it would create vertex arrays and even handle GLSL shaders. Any ideas?

Phresnel, you should look into this one before you do anything else:

http://tinyurl.com/y9gmfpt

NineYear: AssImp looks like just what I'm looking for. In the past (10 years back) I rolled my own stuff to handle the Milkshape3D format but that's a little long in the tooth at this point.

Quote:
Original post by sponsz
Phresnel, you should look into this one before you do anything else:

http://tinyurl.com/y9gmfpt

Apart from that "social graces, basic civility and borderline autistic programmer types", in contrary to the search I suggested, does not yield any meaningful result on google, it is funny how you target that phrase at me after I wasn't insulting you, thus denying the fact that you are at no point better. At least.

Hint: lmgtfy.com is not an insult here on gamedev.net, but a rogoush hint on that gamedev.net or google.com might already contain all the information you need, and that there's prolly no need to further decrease the signal/noise ratio on these forums. Hence we often ask newbies what they have tried already, and where their exact problem is, so they try better next time. Blanket questions that can be answered by a very basic google search basically waste time, and, as said, increase the noise/signal ratio of every forum in the world. Hence the pranks.

Seriously, have you even glimpsed at the first address I gave to you? In the hope you will not take it as an insult again (I really wonder why you are so angry), here is another one: How to ask questions the smart way.

Finally: If you now ask why I waste time with such an answer: I do so in the hope that in the future you and other newbies will cause less noise and waste less time (and after all, it was practically only 5 minutes).

Quote:
I really wonder why you are so angry

Who's really angry here? I'm laughing at you. Go out and find a girl or something.

Or better yet, just stay here all day and be insolent and sarcastic. Because that right there is a real productive use of your time.

Quote:
Original post by sponsz
Quote:

Who's really angry here? I'm laughing at you. Go out and find a girl or something.

Or better yet, just stay here all day and be insolent and sarcastic. Because that right there is a real productive use of your time.

That's an unnecessary and insulting reply. I'm quite happy to give a directly useful answer as someone else may come across it and find that helpful.

Phresnel has a perfectly valid point and _IS_ extremely helpful many times a day for many other people. Indeed his point still stands that you could have done those searches yourself. Not only is that a general good practice but it usually also leads to you finding and trying to implement an answer before coming here.

Andy

Quote:
Original post by sponsz
Quote:

Who's really angry here? I'm laughing at you.

That's okay.

Quote:
Go out

Okay.

Quote:
and find a girl or something.

Okay. Happy with her for nearly half a decade now.

Quote:
insolent and sarcastic.

Okay (plug plug plug plug plug plug).

Quote:
Because that right there is a real productive use of your time.

I do already, try my, best.