• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Omroth

DX11 DX11 getRenderTargetData

This topic is 3133 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. I am using getRenderTargetData to transfer frames from the graphics card to main memory in real time. I can guarantee a target machine of an ATI 5850 with 1 gig of DDR5 ram running on DX11, and would like to speed up this process as much as possible. Are there any new techniques with DX11 for this? Thanks, Ian

Advertisement
There's a chance that CopyResource in DX11 might work better if you use its asynchronous nature better (although I think that could also be done on DX9). The copy speed itself would likely be the same, though, so if you're limited by the speed and not any GPU/CPU sync issues, this won't gain you anything.

Hi ET3D, thanks for the reply.

I am, having said DX11, currently running on DX9. The DX9 version of CopyResource appears to be CopyRect. Would this do the same thing, and do you have an example of using CopyRect/Resource to copy from backBuffer to a systemMemory surface?

Pretty simple, create a staging texture of the same size and just use the CopyResource (DX10/DX11) with the two texture as parameter. End of the story.

Omroth, the equivalent of DX10/11 CopyResource in DX9 is GetRenderTargetData, for this particular usage, so you're already using the right function.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!