DX11 getRenderTargetData

Started by
4 comments, last by ET3D 14 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys. I am using getRenderTargetData to transfer frames from the graphics card to main memory in real time. I can guarantee a target machine of an ATI 5850 with 1 gig of DDR5 ram running on DX11, and would like to speed up this process as much as possible. Are there any new techniques with DX11 for this? Thanks, Ian
Advertisement
not that i know of

but for what do you need the data out side of the gpu ?
There's a chance that CopyResource in DX11 might work better if you use its asynchronous nature better (although I think that could also be done on DX9). The copy speed itself would likely be the same, though, so if you're limited by the speed and not any GPU/CPU sync issues, this won't gain you anything.
Hi ET3D, thanks for the reply.

I am, having said DX11, currently running on DX9. The DX9 version of CopyResource appears to be CopyRect. Would this do the same thing, and do you have an example of using CopyRect/Resource to copy from backBuffer to a systemMemory surface?
Pretty simple, create a staging texture of the same size and just use the CopyResource (DX10/DX11) with the two texture as parameter. End of the story.
Omroth, the equivalent of DX10/11 CopyResource in DX9 is GetRenderTargetData, for this particular usage, so you're already using the right function.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement