[C#] [XNA] Get and set with extensions?

Started by
10 comments, last by Spa8nky 14 years, 1 month ago
If I wish to access the X and Y value of a Vector2 class as an Index in XNA, then I currently use the following extension:

public static float Index(this Vector2 v, int index)
        {
            switch (index)
            {
                case 0: { return v.X; }
                case 1: { return v.Y; }

default:
                    {
                        // This is unsafe code BUT it is useful for debugging
                        throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException(
                            "Vector component index out of range"
                        );
                    }
            }
        }

This works fine for accessing the X and Y value, but how can I set the X and Y value using this method?

for (int i = 0; i < 2; ++i)
            {
                // Accessing Index value works fine
                v = point.Index(i);
                v = Math.Max(v, min.Index(i));
                v = Math.Min(v, max.Index(i));

// Setting Index value is not possible
                q.Index(i) = v;
            }

If this isn't possible, is there another method I can use? Thank you.
Advertisement
Would this work?

public static void SetIndex(this Vector2 v, int index, float value)        {            switch (index)            {                case 0: { v.X = value; }                case 1: { v.Y = value; }                default:                    {                        // This is unsafe code BUT it is useful for debugging                        throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException(                            "Vector component index out of range"                        );                    }            }        }

A bit different to what you wanted it to look like, but I think it serves the purpose. I don't know why you're getting/setting the coordinates like this, though. :p
Using Visual C++ 7.0
That will work if the break keyword is used:

public static void SetIndex(this Vector2 v, int index, float value)        {            switch (index)            {                case 0:                     {                         v.X = value;                        break;                    }                case 1:                     {                         v.Y = value;                        break;                    }                default:                    {                        // This is unsafe code BUT it is useful for debugging                        throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException(                            "Vector component index out of range"                        );                    }            }        }

Quote:
I don't know why you're getting/setting the coordinates like this, though. :p

So I can set the values in one loop as opposed to repeating the same lines of code for x and y or x,y and z.

Thanks for the help, Barguast.

If anyone can think of any other methods to tackle this then please share.
Just done some testing and found that the method you posted doesn't work:

Vector2 v = new Vector2();            v.SetIndex(1, 100f);            Console.WriteLine(v);

v is still (0,0) and not (0,100).
You need to brush up on the differences between reference types and value types. Vector2 is a value type, so it is copied by value when passed to a function as an argument. When you assign the value to one of its members, you are only modifying a copy, and the original variable isn't changed.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
I assume extension methods do not allow you to overload operators (if you can overload subscript operators at all in C#)?
Quote:
You need to brush up on the differences between reference types and value types.

As far as I know, extension methods don't allow the "ref" keyword to be used with the "this" keyword, so it seems it just isn't possible to do it this way.

Is this correct?
Quote:Original post by Spa8nky
Quote:
You need to brush up on the differences between reference types and value types.

As far as I know, extension methods don't allow the "ref" keyword to be used with the "this" keyword, so it seems it just isn't possible to do it this way.

Is this correct?

Yes.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote:Original post by Spa8nky
So I can set the values in one loop as opposed to repeating the same lines of code for x and y or x,y and z.

Can you provide an example?
Quote:
Can you provide an example?

Repeating the following for x, y (and z in 3D) would seem unecessary:

for (int i = 0; i < 2; ++i)            {                // Find distance intervals for current two slabs                // Distance is between slab min/max values                float d_S0 = a.MinPoint.Index(i) - b.MaxPoint.Index(i);                float d_S1 = b.MinPoint.Index(i) - a.MaxPoint.Index(i);                // The distance is positive if the intervals do not overlap                // Must be >= to 0 and not > 0, otherwise MTV can equal Vector2.Zero and cause NaN                if (d_S0 >= 0f || d_S1 >= 0f)                {                    return false;                }                // Current distance interval for slabs                float d = (d_S0 > d_S1) ? -d_S0 : d_S1;                // If d is the smallest distance so far                if (Math.Abs(d) < Math.Abs(mtv_Distance))                {                    // Store the distance and the current axis                    mtv_Distance = d;                    mtv_Axis = i;                }            }

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement