Sign in to follow this  
tiagomac

What is the process to create a game used by companies like Elet. Arts and Blizzard?

Hi ppl, I got a big curious inside of me, but i never found answer for it... i just want to know in a more little detail the process used in big companies or medium to make games, ignoring the sound effects process, but about the process (programming+graphics)... First Sry for my bad english, i'm Brazilian... i'll try to explain a little, i work in a software development companie: A client come to us, or we come to someone, detect a problem and start a dialog with the possible client, so when the project is ok to start we first join in a conception part that is basicly planning and architecture... after that we start development, we use basicaly these tools and technology: 1- Java with Eclipse and frameworks like spring and hibernate and gwt or jsf... 2- C/C++ with DevC++... 3- In some projects we make use of .NET so we go to Visual Studio... the graphic part is like the programming part, a team works separately and give us what we need, they use softwares like photoshop, coreldraw, blender, illustrator... We then make some tests and it's finish... But my doubt is, what is the process in game industry? it's like a normal software? same programs/language? what is the programs and technologies used??? Thanks all!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_engineering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_life_cycle

I haven't personally worked in the game industry but as far as I'm aware they usually use C++ for development.

This is all for big console titles (360, PS3).

More often than not the majority of the code is written in C++. Largely that's because Sony only provides a C and a C++ compiler. Microsoft has XNA, but IIRC if you're a fully licensed developer and want to get full hardware access you need to use their C/C++ compiler (I don't have much experience with XNA, we used C++ for 360 development).

Most studios use Visual Studio because you need it to debug on the 360 and it's a sweet IDE with full support.

Typically there is a higher level scripting language used to direct AI or run design/encounter scripts: sometimes LUA, sometimes something custom, sometimes just XML.

There is almost always a custom level designing tool that designers use to composite art and AI and scripts into a playable level.

Visual artists almost always use Maya or 3DS Max. More and more Maya these days.

It's also getting more common for big budget games to use 3rd party solutions: like the Unreal Engine, animation tools like Euphoria, AI tools like Kynapse, etc. Doing the heavy lifting to build your own engine that can run on PS3, 360 and PC is a big time/$$ investment and, if you're at a big publisher, typically more cost-effective to just pay the couple hundred thousand dollar licensing fee than to build your own.

Not really sure what sound designers use but I think Pro Tools is a common design environment.

Teams for AAA games are typically 50-250 people all told.

-me