Sign in to follow this  
mattmn909

ODE, Bullet or PhysX with OGRE?

Right I'm in the process of creating a stealth game for a university project and I've already looked through possible graphic engines and decided on OGRE which seems to have all the features I need. However now I'm looking at the physics engines and cant decide on ODE, Bullet or PhysX. The problem being I have no experience in any of them and I need something easy to use (in terms of both physics and compatibility with OGRE) as the key aspect of the game will be to demonstrate the AI so I don't really want to spend all my time creating a hyper-realistic physics engine when I could spend more time doing the AI. If any of you have experience using OGRE and one of these physics packages it would be great to know your opinion on what's easy to use/ understand. P.S. I included physX in the list but i'm not sure if it is definatly open source, if not n/m. P.P.S. sorry for creating another physics engine comparison thread =(

Quote:
Original post by Fiddler
Bullet all the way.
I would concur - Bullet seems to not suffer from many of the small hiccups I experienced with ODE.
Quote:
PhysX is not open-source if that matters to you.
But keep in mind that both PhysX and Havok are free on the Windows platform, and both are very polished commercial solutions. If you don't have an absolute requirement for open-source, they are well worth a look.

Thanks guys i'll take a look at bullet then =)

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
But keep in mind that both PhysX and Havok are free on the Windows platform, and both are very polished commercial solutions. If you don't have an absolute requirement for open-source, they are well worth a look.

if physX and havok are free i'll take a look at those too (either one would look good on a cv). Ideas on which is easiest to use with OGRE anyone?

I've not long finished intergrating physX and ogre3d in my game. It all went really smoothly. One think I think you definatly need (regardless of the engines oyu choose) is to split your Game logic and game views and communicate between them with some kind of event system. I have no AI in my game yet but I''ve also read this works really well with AI (since you have an AI view).

One thing to take note of is NxController /8which will be your player and AI characters), I beleive you are not allowed to ship the dll for it with your game. So you might have to write your own controller for it.