Sign in to follow this  
flodywan

OpenGL How did you learn OpenGL?

Hi! I'm wondering how different people learned OpenGL. Did you read through the red book, watch tutorials, learn from another book? I'm currently reading through the red book and I'm trying to find which way would be the most helpful.

Moving to the OpenGL forum.

I learned it by skimming the red book and referring to the blue book as needed. I'd previously learned about the fundamentals of the graphics pipeline by reading other, API-agnostic, textbooks.

I went about it the other way (i.e. ass-backwards), by learning basic OpenGL programming from NeHe and other sample code/tutorials, before reading up on the theory, and eventually taking a graphics course in university.

I wouldn't recommend learning this way, but it has worked out all right in the long run.

I actually bought a copy of the GameDev book. Dunno if it's the best way, but it was a hell of a lot better than reading the NeHe trash. It'd be pretty out of date relative to the current OpenGL API, now.

I also went with the book Promit said. It was a very good base for my opengl knowledge. I really should get one of the updated editions as mine is one of the first ones and doesn't mention shaders or anything of that sort.

I learnt the basics of OpenGL for a university assignment. Necessity was a great motivator. I used NeHe, random webs, gamedev, and plenty of trial and error. Trying to solve problems in OpenGL worked best for me, as oppose to reading a book. So I'd start with how do I draw a line? Okay I will go figure that out then just build up from their.

Oh and Glut, yes its old, but it was just so quick and easy for learning.

NeHe, 2000-5000 demo-tutorial sources, 5k articles, skimming through many online books. Thus, all the fixed-func stuff is a mush in my head :D. SM3.0 and 4.x let me skip all the fluff and shade however I want.
But had already worked commercially on software rasterization of 3D. So, programmable shading is in my veins - and there the extension-specs are the best resources, together with actually coding, testing and benching ideas; all else is more of a case-point or a tiny guideline imho.

College OpenGL class, the red book and the OpenGL SuperBible. I have to say I am extremely fond of the OpenGL SuperBible fourth edition, although I originally learned off of the second edition.

videotutorialsrock.com was my starting point. I was introduced to the theory behind graphics in university but I jumped ahead and started working through this website. It's very clear and the guy is well spoken so it's easy to follow and understand. By the end you will have made a nice 3D pong type game.

This website uses GLUT however so if your used to the Win32 format this may be a little daunting.

In order:
Python: reverse engineering, playing around
PyGame: reverse engineering, playing around
PyOpenGL: reverse engineering, a boatload of playing around
I actually recommend this way. It's taken me about 5 years, but learning through experience is the best way.

Quote:
Original post by ajm113
I learned from Marek-knows.com's video tutorials in the Game Engine series. I think all of he's tutorials are pretty good! :)

A vague guess, but maybe because you are Marek? (if that's wrong, please accept my apologies, but I remember him from highly advocating his costly stuff)

I learned it 10 years ago from a French website:
http://rvirtual.free.fr/programmation/OpenGl/Index.htm

(I'm surprised it's still up!)

If you can understand French well, this website is 10x better explained than nehe in my opinion. Nehe throw a lot of explanations on things you don't really need to know when you are just starting. I knew nothing advance about graphics, and I knew almost nothing about C++ itself. This website was my starting point :)

I learned from the GDNet book as well (first edition), but I recommend the Redbook as a much more comprehensive book, it won't teach you to write games, but it will give you a much better understanding of the OpenGL state machine.

Quote:
Original post by Geometrian
In order:
Python: reverse engineering, playing around
PyGame: reverse engineering, playing around
PyOpenGL: reverse engineering, a boatload of playing around
I actually recommend this way. It's taken me about 5 years, but learning through experience is the best way.

It's great to learn through experience, but you should also make sure to read books, blogs, etc... from others so you can learn some of the best practices. Only learning from your own code can lead you to find solutions to problems that would often be unfamiliar to others, making your code hard to understand, and potentially error prone in edge cases.

Just a word of caution on your statement about always learning via reverse engineering and playing around. It can be great, as long as it's properly balanced.

Quote:
Original post by Rydinare
engineering and playing around. It can be great, as long as it's properly balanced.

I agree with this and the reason I like to play with code first and then go back and read is because you are more familiar with what is being said. I find trying to read about something completely new harder to digest. With a little playing around with code examples and then attempting to write something going back to a tutorial can be a great way to learn.

From what I remember, I used the Red and Blue book, read threads on OpenGl.org, the GL specification, and the extensions specs. Coupled with quite a few articles and tutorials on the net, and of course spending a lot of time experimenting with code. Writing a software renderer based on the GL specification was a good way to learn and understand the pipeline better. I don't really remember reading anything from Nehe, although it was a popular source at the time...

Quote:
Original post by phresnel
Quote:
Original post by ajm113
I learned from Marek-knows.com's video tutorials in the Game Engine series. I think all of he's tutorials are pretty good! :)

A vague guess, but maybe because you are Marek? (if that's wrong, please accept my apologies, but I remember him from highly advocating his costly stuff)

Hahaha, no. I'm a fan of he's website and I wrote a few articles in the forums on there, I learned a lot from his tutorials so there is like a 20% time I will ever go on a forum and ask for help now aha days.

I knew much about C, so NeHe's tutorials didn't confuse me so much as they were obsolete; his reliance on GLaux leaves a lot to be desired. But, after I got some basics on my own, I began to read the Red Book, a year of trial and error, and eventually I ended up here. My own software renderer is underway, building from what I learned.