• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
flodywan

OpenGL How did you learn OpenGL?

This topic is 3186 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm wondering how different people learned OpenGL. Did you read through the red book, watch tutorials, learn from another book? I'm currently reading through the red book and I'm trying to find which way would be the most helpful.

Advertisement
Moving to the OpenGL forum.

I learned it by skimming the red book and referring to the blue book as needed. I'd previously learned about the fundamentals of the graphics pipeline by reading other, API-agnostic, textbooks.

I went about it the other way (i.e. ass-backwards), by learning basic OpenGL programming from NeHe and other sample code/tutorials, before reading up on the theory, and eventually taking a graphics course in university.

I wouldn't recommend learning this way, but it has worked out all right in the long run.

I actually bought a copy of the GameDev book. Dunno if it's the best way, but it was a hell of a lot better than reading the NeHe trash. It'd be pretty out of date relative to the current OpenGL API, now.

I also went with the book Promit said. It was a very good base for my opengl knowledge. I really should get one of the updated editions as mine is one of the first ones and doesn't mention shaders or anything of that sort.

I learnt the basics of OpenGL for a university assignment. Necessity was a great motivator. I used NeHe, random webs, gamedev, and plenty of trial and error. Trying to solve problems in OpenGL worked best for me, as oppose to reading a book. So I'd start with how do I draw a line? Okay I will go figure that out then just build up from their.

Oh and Glut, yes its old, but it was just so quick and easy for learning.

NeHe, 2000-5000 demo-tutorial sources, 5k articles, skimming through many online books. Thus, all the fixed-func stuff is a mush in my head :D. SM3.0 and 4.x let me skip all the fluff and shade however I want.
But had already worked commercially on software rasterization of 3D. So, programmable shading is in my veins - and there the extension-specs are the best resources, together with actually coding, testing and benching ideas; all else is more of a case-point or a tiny guideline imho.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!