How did you learn OpenGL?

Started by
26 comments, last by Stani R 14 years, 1 month ago
College OpenGL class, the red book and the OpenGL SuperBible. I have to say I am extremely fond of the OpenGL SuperBible fourth edition, although I originally learned off of the second edition.
Advertisement
videotutorialsrock.com was my starting point. I was introduced to the theory behind graphics in university but I jumped ahead and started working through this website. It's very clear and the guy is well spoken so it's easy to follow and understand. By the end you will have made a nice 3D pong type game.

This website uses GLUT however so if your used to the Win32 format this may be a little daunting.
What else would you use besides GLUT? Is there anything better?
http://spacesimulator.net/tutorials.html

was where i started... a lot of it is outdated i think... but regardless, mixing some of it with some of the stuff above can help.

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

In order:
Python: reverse engineering, playing around
PyGame: reverse engineering, playing around
PyOpenGL: reverse engineering, a boatload of playing around
I actually recommend this way. It's taken me about 5 years, but learning through experience is the best way.

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

flodywan - there are a few Win32, SDL and I recently found SFML which is very nice.
Quote:Original post by ajm113
I learned from Marek-knows.com's video tutorials in the Game Engine series. I think all of he's tutorials are pretty good! :)

A vague guess, but maybe because you are Marek? (if that's wrong, please accept my apologies, but I remember him from highly advocating his costly stuff)
The Red Book.
+nehe for setting it up in win32.
That was just enough for fixed pipeline.
I learned it 10 years ago from a French website:
http://rvirtual.free.fr/programmation/OpenGl/Index.htm

(I'm surprised it's still up!)

If you can understand French well, this website is 10x better explained than nehe in my opinion. Nehe throw a lot of explanations on things you don't really need to know when you are just starting. I knew nothing advance about graphics, and I knew almost nothing about C++ itself. This website was my starting point :)
I learned from the GDNet book as well (first edition), but I recommend the Redbook as a much more comprehensive book, it won't teach you to write games, but it will give you a much better understanding of the OpenGL state machine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement