For my final exam in school, how would you do it?

Started by
13 comments, last by noisecrime 14 years, 1 month ago
You should probably take the time to watch James Schell's presentation 'Beyond FaceBook' from this year's DICE. It will be a solid source of ideas, if nothing else.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
You should probably take the time to watch James Schell's presentation 'Beyond FaceBook' from this year's DICE. It will be a solid source of ideas, if nothing else.

thanks i'll look into it :)
in other words... vierality and monetization XD
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Thinking about turning WoW to a non-gambling version.

Use pvp a lot.

For resource mining have 1 vs. 1 duels so that the last man standing gets the resource. Show the respawn times on the deposits.

For dungeons have team vs. team pvp fights and the last team standing gets to enter the dungeon. Have the loot random but randomize beforehand and announce the final boss loot beforehand so it's not random to the players. Replace need rolls with an auction, possibly with a currency that can only be gained in pvp battles (honor points in WoW for instance) so that the player who wins pays honor points to the others in the team.

Replace random critical strikes with a counter so that each strike/spell with a n% chance adds n to the counter and scores a critical hit when the counter goes over 100.

Make the rare monsters that wonder the world at random and drop rare loot spawn at known places and times but only when no players are inside a certain radius from the spawn point. Guide them by a non-random AI that for instance goes to areas it hasn't gone to in previous spawn cycles or prefers to move to areas players have or haven't been to recently or where normal monsters have or haven't been killed recently.

Again, randomize the loot of those monsters at spawn time but make it possible for the players to learn about what items those monsters will drop - for instance by paying some NPC for the info. [edit]In fact this can work for all monsters - make some race/class ability to scan monsters and learn what their loot is and allow the other races/classes to buy some consumable item that achieves the same - it doesn't matter that they don't use just that they have the _option_ to use it.

You don't have to cite me lol. Also, IANAL so not sure if my ideas would stand in court.
Quote:Original post by swiftcoder

Thank you so much for bring this to my attention. Absolutely fascinating, both scary and yet with the potential for great benefits. Will have to watch it again to fully digest everything he mentioned.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement