Sign in to follow this  

[C++] Aspect ratio correction with sprites

This topic is 2853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to develop a 2D game that uses a 4:3 aspect ratio on a 16:9 monitor, so everything is ugly. Since the transformation pipeline is skipped entirely when rendering sprites, can I apply aspect ratio correction to them?

I'm not sure I understand you. Shouldn't you rather set your monitor to a different mode so that it won't stretch the screen but add black areas to the left and right instead?
Or do you want your game to support both 4:3 and widescreen (16:9 or 16:10 which is more common for monitors than the TV 16:9, I think) resolutions? If yes, then you simply have to render more on the screen for wide resolutions in 2D games, there won't be any aspect ratio correction.
For example - imagine a 160x160 pixels sprite.
Case #1 - 4:3 monitor, resolution 1600x1200 - the sprite will be square, 160x160 pixels and 10 of them will fit the screen horizontally.
Case #2 - 16:10 monitor, resolution 1920x1200 - the sprite will be again square of course, 160x160 pixels and 12 of them will fit the screen horizontally.
Case #3 - 16:10 monitor, resolution 1600x1200 - depends on how do you set your MONITOR to display the "unnatural" resolution.

But maybe I really just don't understand you ;)

To be honest, I was having trouble visualizing my problem myself. Aspect ratio came to mind simply because my game was resampling a 4:3 frame to a 16:9 monitor, and horizontal distortion was noticeable. It didn't initially occur to me that I was still working with sprites of the same size. (believe it or not...)

Thank you for trying to address my question, but I am grasping the perspective I need to now.

Are your sprites stretched?

If so, I had this problem, too, but I was able to solve it.
You need to do a ScaleTransform to set the Sprite size to the
Screen size.

Do it like this:

D3DX10_SPRITE spriteInfo;

D3DXVECTOR2 ScaleFix; //Fixes the Scale-Problem

ScaleFix.x=(float)((float)1/((float)ScreenSize->x/2))*ActiveTexture->Info.Width; //Set to the ScreenSize
ScaleFix.y=(float)((float)1/((float)ScreenSize->y/2))*ActiveTexture->Info.Height;

ScaleFix.x*=Scale.x; //Multiply with the normal Sprite scale
ScaleFix.y*=Scale.y;

D3DXVECTOR2 rp; //RenderPosition

rp=Pos; //Pos=Original Position

rp.x/=ScaleFix.x; //Divide through the ScaleFix
rp.y/=ScaleFix.y;

D3DXMatrixTranslation(&spriteInfo.matWorld, rp.x, rp.y, 1.0f); //Translate the sprite
D3DXMatrixScaling(&spriteInfo.matWorld,Scale.x,Scale.y,0); //Apply scale

//Do rendering

This topic is 2853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.