3d Max Charecter to Programming Language

Started by
8 comments, last by owiley 14 years, 1 month ago
Hello everybody, How can i move the charecters created in 3ds max to the programming language? I mean how can i give life to my 3d models in programming language? What is technique?
Advertisement
Do you have any programming knowledge or background?
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Yes, i have
Well you need to use a 3D Graphics API such as Direct3D within Directx.
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
What platform are you working on? What language are you using? What framework or engine?

If those questions don't make sense to you, then what kind of game are you trying to build, and how much (and what kind of) experience do you have with game-development?
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
i am using windows, the language choice is c++, is it a must using a framework or engine? I just wonder how i can integrate my 3d charecters into a language and how to give them movements. example rotating around itself.
You don't have to use a framework or engine, but it'll save you a lot of time. You don't 'integrate models into a language'. You'll use a programming language to tell your computer how to load model data and how to render it.

For the rendering, you're going to need a graphics API, such as Direct3D or OpenGL. They provide code that allows you to 'talk' to your 3D card. Still, you'll have to build a renderer on top of that, as well as code that can load model files into data structures so they can be sent to the 3D card. That's a lot of work, and it's quite tricky if you don't have much experience with it yet. That's why using an existing engine or framework is a smart idea. Ogre 3D, Panda 3D, Unity, Torque, take a look around to find something that suits your needs.

For example, I've used Panda 3D (with Python - the first time I ever used that language) a couple of years ago, and it was quite easy to get some models visible on-screen, rotating and moving and all that. Some years earlier, I had tried to do all of that myself, using C++ and OpenGL, but after a long time I finally was able to render some models, untextured and flatshaded, nothing more than that.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
ok like wat was said, you have to load the data from a file on the hard drive. there are many formats. With obj being a standard on static objects. Collada format is dae which is supported by many packages and its in text so you can understand it. another format is directx own x-files which has the extension .x(it comes in two styles text and binary).
After you have the model and animation detail its time for repacking the data into what the card can understand. All is next is follow api rules with basic to advance math and program the rest to look right
Bring more Pain
I always wondered why in the DirectX SDK they never gave you the code to their .X object viewer. You would think that would have been a very useful sample program
(especially as a starting place for various object tools...)
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Look again the code for loading x files is there just not how you expect it plus it all over the net nothing special. I give it to you in simple terms: load all the verts into an array, grab the face inice(indices points back to the array we just made, load the face texure and material. grab animation data for each vert controled next render that to the scene on some time stamp
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement