Sign in to follow this  

Getting new input devices in games

This topic is 2847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, This might be a weird and stupid question but it has me stumped for a while. I have made this new input device which I can use in many of applications (The ones I have written) cuz it uses a simple serial port. I would like to get this device to be used as my main input devices in the games that I play. How do I get about this? Do I need to learn to write device drivers? If so, where do I start, I downloaded the WDK (Windows Driver development Kit) and been reading up on it but it sounds like French to me. They talk about a lot of models and stuff which I do understand but it does nt tell me where to start writing code for it and plugging in my already written code. Please Help, Safi

It sounds like you are on the right track.

Look up the example WDF user-mode driver samples.

Device drivers are not trivial programs. They are expected to handle many different requests, and operate correctly under many different environments. You will need to understand many topics in Windows programming before you can develop a driver.

Assuming you have the necessary skill to write it, you will need to create a driver that the games are able to use.

The game must be written to use that kind of device. For example, if the game was only built for keyboard and mouse, it doesn't matter if you attach a gamepad or flight yoke or force-feedback wheel. The game does not care about them and will not use them.

When you create a driver, make sure you create an interface that the game can use.

This topic is 2847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.