Sign in to follow this  

Color of dots / glvertex2f changes with movement

This topic is 2826 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I have a display of random dots projected onto a ground plane. When I add movement in the z and x direction, the color and or brightness of most of the dots get brighter. To me, it seems like the dots get drawn in the same position for a few frames, and the RGB values get added together, making the dot brighter. so maybe something to do with a buffer? I appreciate any help, thanks!

Here is a portion of my extensive code, I hope this is enough. All the "trials" and "conditions" are part of variables I am manipulating.

void ShowStars(void)
{
int n; //Index
float x0, y0; //X and y coordinates

glColor3f(conditionS[order[trial]].dotbright, conditionS[order[trial]].dotbright, conditionS[order[trial]].dotbright); //Set dot color
glPointSize(2.0); //Set dot size
glBegin(GL_POINTS); //Begins list of vertices

for (n = 0; n < conditionS[order[trial]].numpoints; n++)
{
if(trialS[trial].point[n].z < 0)
{
trialS[trial].point[n].x = (float)rand()/(float)(RAND_MAX+1)*plane_width-plane_width/2.;
trialS[trial].point[n].z += MAXPOS;
}

if(abs(trialS[trial].point[n].x) > (display_width/2)/e*trialS[trial].point[n].z)
{
trialS[trial].point[n].x = -trialS[trial].point[n].x;
}

x0 = e*trialS[trial].point[n].x /(trialS[trial].point[n].z);
y0 = e*trialS[trial].point[n].y /(trialS[trial].point[n].z);

glVertex2f(x0,y0); //Draws the dots
}

glEnd(); //End the list of vertices
}

void Initialize()
{
glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0); //Clears the color bit
glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST); //Really Nice Perspective Calculations

firstframe = 1; //
vis_ang = 2*atan((display_width/2)/e); //
plane_width = display_width/e*MAXPOS; //

srand((unsigned int) time(NULL)); //
initial_time = ((int)(clock()/CLOCKS_PER_SEC)); //
Sinusoid(); //Creates the sinusoidal function
CreateDisplays(); //Creates list of display numbers
GenerateConditions(); //Generate the conditions
MakeRandomOrder(); //Randomize the conditions
ticks1 = clock(); //

return;
}
void ReshapeScene(GLsizei width, GLsizei height)
{
if (height == 0)
{
height = 1; //Prevent from dividing by zero
}

glViewport(0, 0,width, height); //Reset The Current Viewport
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluOrtho2D(-display_width/2, display_width/2, -display_width/2*height/width, display_width/2*height/width);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

return;
}
void RenderScene()
{
glLoadIdentity(); //Clears all states to start drawing

if (move == TRUE) //If move has been set on, move stars
{
MoveStars(); //Gets new coordinates
UpdateStars(); //Clears screen
ShowStars(); //Draws the dots
}
else //If move not set, don't move dots
{
UpdateStars(); //Clears screen
ShowStars(); //Draws the dots
}
//glFlush();
}

void IllustrateScene()
{
glClearColor( conditionS[order[trial]].backbright,
conditionS[order[trial]].backbright,
conditionS[order[trial]].backbright,
0.0); //Sets background color
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); //Clears the color buffer bit
RenderScene(); //Draws the scene

return;
}

While moving objects will appear slightly brighter, due to imperfections in the monitor and the human eye. For example, a white point on a black background moving left will leave a small (1-2px) dark grey trail behind it, because the pixel cannot turn completely off instantly. The effect is larger on CRT monitors, as Phosphorus compounds continue to glow for a while. Your eye, for its part, suffers from something called "persistence of vision", which is essentially the same thing.

This may not be your problem, or I could just be misunderstanding you. If not, you can help it by using larger, blurrier points or moving more slowly, or not at all.

You might also want to be clearing the depth buffer somewhere in there--I didn't notice such a call.

Hope this helps,
-G

Quote:
Original post by Geometrian
While moving objects will appear slightly brighter, due to imperfections in the monitor and the human eye. For example, a white point on a black background moving left will leave a small (1-2px) dark grey trail behind it, because the pixel cannot turn completely off instantly. The effect is larger on CRT monitors, as Phosphorus compounds continue to glow for a while. Your eye, for its part, suffers from something called "persistence of vision", which is essentially the same thing.

This may not be your problem, or I could just be misunderstanding you. If not, you can help it by using larger, blurrier points or moving more slowly, or not at all.

You might also want to be clearing the depth buffer somewhere in there--I didn't notice such a call.

Hope this helps,
-G

Thanks for your input. I have only tried the program on a 19" LCD monitor and a 46" LCD monitor. The issue is more apparent on the larger screen. I have tried increasing the point size, but with no improvement. The movement at its current speed is necessary, so eliminating that is not an option for me.

I have recently added the depth buffer clearing into the code. It does not seem to be making a noticeable difference.

The points I draw have global coordinate positions. It is possible that two points that are near each other globally get drawn to the same pixel on the screen, hence the accumulation.

If this is the case, is there a way to prevent drawing to a pixel if it has been drawn to already?

This topic is 2826 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.