Sign in to follow this  

Indy mmo with WoW Emu's

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was thinking for quite a while about what it takes to get MMO running and designing from scratch seems like really improbably option. On the other hand modern hardware is quite good and cheap and some WoW emu private servers I checked out deliver quite good experience. WoW client has excellent stability and decent extensibility trough lua UI mods, I think with some dll hooks its possible to add more functionality if its required So why not take emulator, wow client (pick one version and standardize on it ) and build your own game on top of it? You could use a F2P model to support further development . And if it takes off you can ditch wow client altogether and write your own to avoid problems with Blizzard's IP etc What are major cons and downfalls with this approach?

It's not a terrible idea. You will definitely be limited as to what kind of changes you'll be able to make to the client. Changing the UI is definitely easy, and you might be able to change the assets if you find an editor for their packed file format. But changing the game mechanics is probably hard.

The major downfall is that if your project becomes popular, Blizzard's lawyers will (try to) nuke you into a crater. You won't be able to charge any money while you're using Blizzard IP.

Anyway, check out the ArcEmu and Mangos projects (if you don't already know them)

This topic is 2849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.