Grabbing Items in PhysX, Realistic Simulation

Started by
-1 comments, last by truepusk 14 years, 1 month ago
Quick disclaimer - I am helping a coworker who is working on this project and I am not familiar with all of the intimate details, so please forgive me if I state something silly or incorrect. We are working on a project simulating a realistic robotic joint. We want to be able to pick up objects in the world and interact with them but we are running into a few issues. First off, it is very difficult to casually touch another object. Often times the object bounces back. I'm guessing this is an issue with restitution. Second, we are trying to grab it using friction and force, but we are having much difficulty. I think the 'crab claw' gripper is not able to always maintain force on the object (you need to maintain some normal force to have any friction at all). We have tried increasing the friction to abnormally high values, but we still cannot seem to get it. Third, we have read of people solving this issue by creating a temporary joint between the gripper and the object it is in contact with. This works to pick up objects, but we are having issues releasing. Is there a way to release or destroy a joint while the scene is active? Thanks in advance!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement