SFML TransformToGlobal - bad idea?

Started by
3 comments, last by agm_ultimatex 14 years, 1 month ago
Just working on a bit for a game, getting a simple square bouncing off the edges of the window. Presently, I have the window set at 800 x 600. I draw this box at 50, 50. It is 30 x 30 in size. I'm currently animating it, so it moves over to the right hand side of the screen. The problem is, even though I've done a check for this, it goes past the edge of the screen. However, if I start it at 0, 50 position, it does not. If I output the x value of the box (I use a class to store position and size info), it stays the same regardless. I'm fairly certain this is because of where ever it's drawn, that is its origin or 0,0. I am wondering if using TransformToGlobal might help, by specifying the 50, 50 in that, and starting the box at 0, 0. My concern is that I don't want to get into a bad habit of using this function, where game objects or sprites should refer to origin as the local starting position.
Advertisement
What does the code look like?
here ya go sorry.

// Pong.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.//#include "stdafx.h"#include <SFML/Graphics.hpp>#include "Piece.hpp"#include <iostream>void updateBallPosition(Piece& ball, float ballSpeed, float timePassed);void updateBallPosition(Piece& ball, float ballSpeed, float timePassed){	float x = ball.GetX();	float y = ball.GetY();	float max_x = 800 - ball.GetSizeX();	float max_y = 600 - ball.GetSizeY();	if((x + (ballSpeed * timePassed)) <= max_x)	{		std::cout << "x: " << x << "\n";		ball.IncrementX(ballSpeed * timePassed);	}}int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]){	sf::RenderWindow app(sf::VideoMode(800, 600, 32), "Pong Clone");	Piece theBall(50, 50, 30, 30);	sf::Shape squarePiece;		squarePiece.AddPoint(theBall.GetX(), theBall.GetY(), sf::Color(255, 255, 255), sf::Color(255, 255, 255));	squarePiece.AddPoint(theBall.GetRightX(), theBall.GetY(), sf::Color(255, 255, 255), sf::Color(255, 255, 255));	squarePiece.AddPoint(theBall.GetRightX(), theBall.GetBottomY(), sf::Color(255, 255, 255), sf::Color(255, 255, 255));	squarePiece.AddPoint(theBall.GetX(), theBall.GetBottomY(), sf::Color(255, 255, 255), sf::Color(255, 255, 255));	squarePiece.AddPoint(theBall.GetX(), theBall.GetY(), sf::Color(255, 255, 255), sf::Color(255, 255, 255));	squarePiece.EnableFill(true);	app.SetFramerateLimit(100);	app.UseVerticalSync(false);	while(app.IsOpened())	{		sf::Event e;		while(app.GetEvent(e))		{			if(e.Type == sf::Event::Closed)			{				app.Close();			}			// if escape was pressed			if((e.Type == sf::Event::KeyPressed) && (e.Key.Code == sf::Key::Escape))			{				app.Close();			}		}		float timePassed = app.GetFrameTime();			app.Clear();		app.Draw(squarePiece);		app.Display();		squarePiece.SetX(theBall.GetX());		squarePiece.SetY(theBall.GetY());		updateBallPosition(theBall, 150.0f, timePassed);	}	return EXIT_SUCCESS;}
The squarePeice in your code states:
Create a rectangle sized 30 by 30, whose origin is at (-50, -50). Therefore when I translate the shape to (0,0), the top-left corner of the rectangle is at (50,50)

Try this:
const int width = 30;const int height = 30;Piece theBall(50, 50, width, height);sf::Shape squarePiece;const sf::Color& ballColor = sf::Color::White;squarePiece.AddPoint(0, 0, ballColor, ballColor);squarePiece.AddPoint(width, 0, ballColor, ballColor);squarePiece.AddPoint(width, height, ballColor, ballColor);squarePiece.AddPoint(0, height, ballColor, ballColor);squarePiece.AddPoint(0, 0, ballColor, ballColor);

This states:
Create a rectangle sized 30 by 30, whose origin is at (0, 0). Therefore when I translate the shape to (0,0), the top-left corner of the rectangle is at (0,0)
That did the trick thanks :).

Though I had to change the code for the color to:
const sf::Color& ballColor = sf::Color(255, 255, 255);
as well as the height and width to float.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement