Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JonnyQuest

Would anyone use an iso engine?

Hi I''m working on this engine at the moment, it''s a 3D/iso hybrid thing. The features are: - Direct3D 8.0 hardware accelerated orthogonal rendering, from an iso angle, the view can be rotated, but obviously can be locked too. - terrain is a heightmap, textures on it are automatically blended into each other. - objects are 3D meshes and thus can be placed and rotated as wished - various lighting methods and speeds adjustable, including lightmapped pixel lighting and vertex lighting and shadows - texture management, there is also a compressed texture package format which can be used if required - provides objects and function for mouse and keyboard facilities, including user interface objects and terrain click detection - all tools (texture packager, mesh editor/converter, level editor, file format specifications) available I''m paying special attention to the lighting, as it''ll be crucial in our game (there will be pitch-dark night missions in which you will use your own light sources) My question now: Am I wasting my time writing this engine as universally usable as possible, as noone will want to use it anyway? And, I know, this question actually goes in the Business forum, but I''ll post it here first, would anyone pay a little bit for something like this if there was good support (i.e. a forum for all licensees where they could help each other, and I would answer all questions, and constantly improve the engine corresponding to licensee input) and source code for it? Or is that me just dreaming again? I know this is hard to say without a tech demo, but the first one won''t be around until october or so I fear. - JQ Infiltration: Losing Ground "Crap posts are fertilizer. You have to fill the Lounge with crap in order for anything useful to grow." -runemaster

Your engine has a lot of features, alot like the one i am working. So i checked out your web site and you have no screen shots. Put some good ones up htere, like 20-30 of them and ones that arent so dark, as better to show off your work.

Possibility

Your engine has a lot of features, alot like the one i am working. So i checked out your web site and you have no screen shots. Put some good ones up htere, like 20-30 of them and ones that arent so dark, as better to show off your work.

Possibility