• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JustChris

OpenGL Instancing in OpenGL and other questions

This topic is 3069 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I started 3D graphics on OpenGL but that was long ago and recently I've been doing more work on DirectX and gotten rusty with OpenGL. The only book I have is about the red book when the latest version of the API was 1.4, so I only know the older concepts on using it. With that said, does OpenGL support any sort of instancing? Does this approach have any big performance benefits on OpenGL or could I just use vertex arrays and display lists and work just as fine? I've heard of vertex buffer objects but that doesn't seem to be standard (at least on the 1.4 spec my book talks about). Also is it recommended to use OpenGL these days without any extensions at all?

Advertisement
1.4 is pretty old.

2.1 would be pretty standard these days (kind-of-DX9-level).

If you want to go DX10-kind-of-level, you can go with 3.1.

VBOs are definitely the kind of feature you'd want to be using (assuming you're targeting GL2). They work almost exactly the same as vertex-arrays, so there isn't much change required to switch over to them. Everything in GL is an extension (almost :P), so you almost have to use them. Just stick to using the standard ones (i.e. ARB_*) instead of NVidia/ATI/etc-specific ones.

DX-style instancing wasn't added until 3.0 IIRC. It's not as important in GL, because GL's draw calls aren't as slow as DX's. In older versions of GL, there's an alternative trick called pseudo instancing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!