Sign in to follow this  

Skill effect

This topic is 2851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry for my english. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbd3Orp8phI this is a video of Dragonica game that I really love all effect in game. Did anyone have some knowledge to make special effect? Please give me some direction, article link or book that I should read. Thank you.

I need to learn about special effect in game.

It's not only 3d RPG that have SFX but the most of game have SFX.

Video link is just an example I told you what I want to learn.

I think SFX isn't made from particle effect so I don't know what it was made from.

I have an experience about build the RPG Game but I think my game is not well enough, my game didn't has any effect so I need to use SFX in my game.

Sorry, my english is not good, I can't write what I need.

The majority of the special effects on that game seem to consist of additively blended sprites and/or particles.

As a side note, the character intro pics are ripped straight from Final Fantasy Tactics series.

Nik02, Thank You for reply.

Can you give me more detail?

which language, technique, tools, external link or book?

I'm not focused on game in my video link but I focused on every game eg. tekken, street fighter IV, hellgate london, world of warcraft, etc.

Many ways to accomplish effects. Sprites, blurring shaders, particles, smart of use of transparency, distorting the background with pixel shaders, and so on. There is no single trick to do all that stuff, ussually it is a combination of (basic) techniques.

The point is, you need to master some basics before you can achieve this. If you know howto make sprites, particles or how to do a motion blur shader, you can combine these techniques and create all kinds of effects. I suggest you create some small test programs that:
- create a sprite and appy different forms of blending (additive, multiply, ...)
- learn FBO's / render targets to do advanced stuff
- create some pixelshaders that apply effects on the background (blur, negative, distort).

With these 3 tools you can about anything, and you'll also start to recognize how others do stuff like this. nVidia has SDK 9.5 and SDK 10 with lots of examples. That cover all this stuff. If you google for "additive blending" or something like "opengl + sprite" you should get tons of info as well.

This topic is 2851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.