Sign in to follow this  

Troll2D and other game engines

This topic is 2846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm about to dive into my next project, and for the first time am intending on including true graphics - before I've always used crude ASCII art in the style of a rather poorly executed Rogue like. This game will be a top-down or isometric RPG, and I'm hoping to find a graphics engine that will take care of the lower-level gruntwork for me. So far I've found an engine called Troll2D. Unfortunately reviews and information is scant - not a good sign. Anyone have knowledge of this engine? Or perhaps suggestions for another that might fit my requirements?

I'll echo the HGE library as being pretty good and pretty easy. If you like object oriented code better take a look at the IndieLib. That library is a bit thin on animations and other features but its image loading (even non-power of two textures) and entity handling is very good. They have a primary object called an Entity2D and it pretty much does it all for 2D graphics. HGE is faster but it uses an older version of Directx. IndieLib uses DirectX 9 therefore you get more bells and whistles if you wanted to venture down the raw, directx graphics path. You have access to the directx device to add your own stuff.

Having said all that you won't go wrong with HGE. :)

Steve

This topic is 2846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.