Sign in to follow this  

Unreal Engine 2?

This topic is 2844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this post. I'm looking to obtain and work with the Unreal Engine 2, but I haven't been able to find much information regarding getting it or whether or not it's available. I know that the Unreal Development Kit based on UE3 is available but I haven't been able to find anything similar for UE2. Can anyone tell me if it is actually available and free, and if so where I might be able to grab it? Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by Aztral
It seems that way but I'm getting a mixed message from http://www.unrealtechnology.com/licensing.php?ref=faq. Hum I'll keep looking.

That is definitely for developers who pay for a license. UDK for UE3 is the best you can get for free from Unreal & it's still fairly restrictive I believe.

Unreal is in the market to sell big developers their engine for big dollars. That's their business model. So there is no way you're going to get full code access for free and be allowed to make commercial games.

I think that one of the big motivations for giving the more limited UDK away for free is that it gives hobbyists exposure to their tools. Then when the hobbyists get professional jobs they will be more likely to suggest that the company purchase a developer license for that engine.

- me

This topic is 2844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.