free game engine for c++

Started by
9 comments, last by Hodgman 14 years, 1 month ago
hi, I wanted to make a game as a way to sharpen my c++ skills and I was wondering if anyone could suggest an engine to use for this. Having worked on XNA, I know that it is an option but the programming in that is C# and I specifically want to program in C++. The game I am looking to make will be a 3D game. I have also used Ogre 3D so if someone could suggest something else I would really aprreciate it. Thanks, trojansc
Advertisement
Epic recently released the UDK so you get full access to the engine that made games like Unreal Tournament 3 :D

Link

Hope that helps,
mikfig
"WARNING: Excessive exposure to politicians and other bureaucrats has been linked to aggressive behavior." - Henk Hopla
unity3d.com > They have a free version as well as a licensed one.

hope it helps

Kind Regards
David
Neither of which allows for C++ programming, do they?

Try Irrlicht
I think you might be right, im still at the console app making stage but thought that it could use c++. I have just double checked and I think it can via a c++ plugin but that is restricted to the pro version of the software and I dont think thats cheap.

Kind Regards
David
The UDK does allow the use of external DLL programming. You're a little limited in how you can leverage it, though; it's likely that the majority of the coding would be in UnrealScript, with C++ used for individual algorithms/structures.
I stand (sit) corrected. Good to know. I'm going to have to really check out UDK at some point.
You could give Panda 3D a try. I've only used it with Python, but you can also use it with C++.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
hey guys,

thanks for all the replies. ill look into panda3d.

One thing i am not able to understand is why most of the engines do not support c++ as the main programming language when c++ is still the most used language in the industry (as far as i know).

does anyone have any good exercises to suggest or any other ideas as to how do i practice my c++
C++ is typically used for coding the engine itself. Increasingly, the higher-level game rules are done in Lua or some other scripting language. Whether or not that's a good thing is debatable but you could argue that since most of the showstopping bugs happen at the engine level and not the scripting level, you're better off just working in script and leaving the black magic to hardcore engine coders.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement