Sign in to follow this  

Shader problems on different hardware (Direct3D)

This topic is 2851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Im having some problems with the shaders im using in my Direct3D game. Ive been developing the game on my home pc and its all working great, however today i took my project into uni and ran it on there pc's and the game was destroyed, the shaders were causing the game to fall from 60 fps to 20 fps. I played around with the code for a while and im 100% sure the problem is being caused by the shaders. [(.fx) files] One of the things i noticed is that when running it on my home pc my CPU usages gets fairly high, 20-30%~ however when running it on the PCs at uni it was hovering around 5% I cant tell you the exact specs for the computer i was running it on at uni but i would say its approxiatly twice as powerful as my home pc. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks, Magnumwolf

I think those Uni PC's have the high end 8800's, so they should be more than powerful enough.

Even my laptop can run it smoother than it was running at uni and my laptop has a terrible spec

I can only assume that somehow on my PC the work load is being dumped onto the CPU and on the uni pc's its all be forced onto the GPU.
Now i dont even know if thats possible... and if it is i really need to know how to control it.

It's almost certainly the GPU on the other machine. Don't assume, be sure. If the CPU is not effected but the frame rate crashed it's definately the GPU. One of the big differences in graphics cards is the mem bandwidth. If you are doing alot of read/writing to the GPU thats probably the problem.

Quote:
Original post by mososky
It's almost certainly the GPU on the other machine. Don't assume, be sure. If the CPU is not effected but the frame rate crashed it's definately the GPU. One of the big differences in graphics cards is the mem bandwidth. If you are doing alot of read/writing to the GPU thats probably the problem.

This does not explain why better specs runs much slower the app. He would experience the problem on his home specs as well.

Since CPU usage is 5% instead of 20-30% this may be the couse, as you may be using some timing to fire frame render in your app and so on. Timing precision is often the couse of FPS fall.

This topic is 2851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.