Sign in to follow this  

C++ Type-casting, but not really

This topic is 2848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok maybe not the best title to describe this issue (and it is actually a trivial one) so here it goes: After reading somewhere on a the programmer portfolio review thread here on Gamedev.net some people mentioned that using lines of code like, float f; int i = (int)f; is not very C++ like but more C like and that they should use int i = int(f); int i = static_cast<int>(f); So what do you think and what version do you use? [Edited by - projectghost on February 26, 2010 12:33:40 PM]

I don't use the C++ versions (except the const_cast) because:
-static casts are too long to write;
-I don't use reinterpret_casts, dynamic casts and RTTI.
-const_cast is an exception because it may point to possible bugs whenever I decide to work with things like that.
I'm not really a professional now but I'm developing a practical coding style for myself.

Quote:
Original post by snake5

IMHO, that is not a good argument. Plus using static_cast allows me to search or search and replace far easier then C style cast. And that itself it's worth its weight in gold.

Quote:
Original post by snake5
There's no right and there's no worst. They use what works best for them.
Right and wrong doesn't exclude the possibility of a reasonable middle ground.

On a less philosophical note, the presence of casts (particularly dynamic_cast) in your code generally indicates that you screwed up the design phase. The exception is when you have to interface with a legacy APIs, which are often not const-correct, etc.

Quote:
Original post by DoctorGlow
Quote:
Original post by snake5

IMHO, that is not a good argument. Plus using static_cast allows me to search or search and replace far easier then C style cast. And that itself it's worth its weight in gold.

Exactly my thoughts. If static casts are too long to write, maybe C++ programming is not for you? Because there are a lot of stuff in C++ that is too long to write, maybe don't write at all - like with static casts.

Quote:
Original post by snake5
-I don't use reinterpret_casts, dynamic casts and RTTI.

I'm pretty sure you use reinterpret casts, but you doing them with C syntax.

Quote:
Original post by snake5
Quote:
Quote:
I was more wondering what was actually used in professional application/games
The worst one ;P
There's no right and there's no worst. They use what works best for them.
Sorry, was just joking that real-world "professional" code is often very ugly ;P

Personally, when dealing with primitive types like int and double, I always use the C-style cast.

When dealing with virtual classes, I use dynamic_cast.

When casting non-primitive objects and when dynamic_cast isn't suited for the situation, I use static_cast.

When doing something obscure with classes or primitive types, I sometimes use reinterpret_cast.

When, also for something obscure, needing to cast away const-ness, I use const_cast (and not the simple C-style cast).

But I almost never use static_cast for primitive types like double to int, simply because I know what the C-style cast does and means, it does exactly what it should do, and the notation looks cleaner.

Quote:
Original post by bubu LVExactly my thoughts. If static casts are too long to write, maybe C++ programming is not for you? Because there are a lot of stuff in C++ that is too long to write, maybe don't write at all - like with static casts.

Hmm, C++ is quite ok in that aspect imho, Java requires much more writing than C++ for example. Even C requires much more if you do things like text manipulation or working with dynamic arrays.

[Edited by - Lode on February 27, 2010 5:59:18 AM]

I like the fact they are longer to type. Makes them easier to spot. And when there starts to be alot of casts around, I'd say the program needs design attention.

I use always static_cast with primitives, but I dont see them much around anyway. From double to int ill just call round_down<int>(), and other more expressive functions.

dynamic_cast is no-brainer, but also sign of design problems. With mix-ins static_cast does the job.

reinterpret_cast is a nice ugly name for a ugly cast, where stuff can go wrong.

const_cast is a evil way to promise user ill wont change your parameter, and change it anyway. mutable is better becouse at least you'll see it in header that stuff can change.

I also use boost::numeric_cast where I want to be sure I wont overflow.
And for shared_ptr I have this fast_pointer_cast, which asserts dynamic_cast == static_cast in debug, and is only static_cast in release. And checked_pointer_cast which throws std::bad_cast if dynamic_cast failed.

Anyway.. I really don't like casts, and C cast for the least.

I tend to use the constructor style casting for primitives:

int i=10;
float f=float(i);

since it dovetails nicely in with using the equivalent explicit constructor syntax with user-defined classes.

I tend to only use static_cast<> for downcasting when I know for sure the instance can be casted correctly, but as swiftcoder noted above, this or dynamic_cast<> always makes me suspicious that my design is flawed.

I always use reinterpret_cast<> when converting a pointer from one type to another by just copying bits as this is exactly the kind of operation that should stand out like a sore thumb in code. The only exception I have to this is when I'm working with the Windows API. I tend to do:

HBITMAP OldBmp=(HBITMAP)SelectObject(Dc,Bmp);

This is so idiomatic in Windows API code that it is easier for me to understand than:

HBITMAP OldBmp=reinterpret_cast<HBITMAP>(SelectObject(Dc,Bmp));

but purely due to the sheer number of years that Windows API code has been written like that.

Other than that, I avoid C style casts.

Quote:
Original post by Aardvajk

HBITMAP OldBmp=(HBITMAP)SelectObject(Dc,Bmp);

This is so idiomatic in Windows API code that it is easier for me to understand than:

HBITMAP OldBmp=reinterpret_cast<HBITMAP>(SelectObject(Dc,Bmp));

#include <windowsx.h>
HBITMAP OldBmp=SelectBitmap(Dc, Bmp);

I always use the C++ style. The fact that they take longer to type stand out more in the code is a good thing, IMO. Any time you cast from one type to another, it should be very clear that it is occuring and why it is occuring. C style casts or implicit casts are easier to miss when reviewing code.

I haven't been a profession C++ programmer for 5 years (doing C# stuff primarily now), but I was for 5 years ... and I am fairly sure that in our code base at the start of my career it was ALL C-style casts ... but by the end of my career we had adopted the newer casts for many cases.

We always used dyamic_cast for dynamic casting (downcasting), const_cast for const casting (doing nothing but removing const for interfacing with non-const correct APIs) and reinterpret_cast for reinterpret_cast (the case of code that would always be a bug if the program doesn't know for sure what the REAL type is).

The only one I don't remember being used by everyone was static_cast. I think the most common choice for true conversion was the constructor call version ... although that one took a while to get used to - and none of us every loved any of the 3 choices (the c-style was frowned upon only because it was so powerful that it made it easy to miss bugs - but it was still used sometimes).

This topic is 2848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.