C++ Type-casting, but not really

Started by
15 comments, last by Xai 14 years, 1 month ago
Ok maybe not the best title to describe this issue (and it is actually a trivial one) so here it goes: After reading somewhere on a the programmer portfolio review thread here on Gamedev.net some people mentioned that using lines of code like, float f; int i = (int)f; is not very C++ like but more C like and that they should use int i = int(f); int i = static_cast<int>(f); So what do you think and what version do you use? [Edited by - projectghost on February 26, 2010 12:33:40 PM]
Advertisement
Check out this page.
Quote:Original post by Dragonsoulj
Check out this page.

I was more wondering what was actually used in professional application/games
In the cases you provided, everything is basically the same, so it comes down to a style issue. There is thus no one "right" answer.
I don't use the C++ versions (except the const_cast) because:
-static casts are too long to write;
-I don't use reinterpret_casts, dynamic casts and RTTI.
-const_cast is an exception because it may point to possible bugs whenever I decide to work with things like that.
I'm not really a professional now but I'm developing a practical coding style for myself.
Quote:Original post by projectghost
I was more wondering what was actually used in professional application/games
The worst one ;P
Quote:The worst one ;P

There's no right and there's no worst. They use what works best for them.
Quote:Original post by snake5

IMHO, that is not a good argument. Plus using static_cast allows me to search or search and replace far easier then C style cast. And that itself it's worth its weight in gold.

There's no right and there's no worst. They use what works best for them.
Right and wrong doesn't exclude the possibility of a reasonable middle ground.

On a less philosophical note, the presence of casts (particularly dynamic_cast) in your code generally indicates that you screwed up the design phase. The exception is when you have to interface with a legacy APIs, which are often not const-correct, etc.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by DoctorGlow

IMHO, that is not a good argument. Plus using static_cast allows me to search or search and replace far easier then C style cast. And that itself it's worth its weight in gold.

Exactly my thoughts. If static casts are too long to write, maybe C++ programming is not for you? Because there are a lot of stuff in C++ that is too long to write, maybe don't write at all - like with static casts.

-I don't use reinterpret_casts, dynamic casts and RTTI.

I'm pretty sure you use reinterpret casts, but you doing them with C syntax.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement