Sign in to follow this  

Source porting C code from UNIX proprietary OS to Windows

This topic is 2845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have some source code from old online game programmed in the 90's. Problem is it was coded to specifically run on a customized hosting platform built on UNIX. This platform is no longer used nor supported. I'm not even sure I can get an old SDK for it that would have been handed out to developers. Hypothetically, what am I going to need to source port the code to something Windows compatible? Would the developer SDK be absolutely necessary? I am not a programmer, so I will need to hire somebody eventually. But I'm trying to figure out if a source port will even be possible.

It depends. :)

It could be a few better IO functions that are in that SDK or it could be something awesomely complicated and deeply integrated with the obsolete system.

In the former case, you have good chances that you can emulate those function calls or rewrite the module using them. In the latter, it's much more work and can be impossible, if you don't have enough information about how the SDK is supposed to work internally.

So, what system are you speaking about?

The SDK won't be strictly necessary, as it is likely as specific to the hardware as your game source code -- hence, its not going to let you flip a switch and compiler to windows.

That said, having the SDK (or its documentation -- if its any good) would be a valuable asset in reverse-engineering the behavior of the code, which is probably going to be the only viable way to see a port happen.

Basically, rather than have someone take the code verbatim and change things to work on Windows, you're probably going to have someone study the code, and then make a recreation from the ground up, using the original code to get the behavior as close to original as possible.

This topic is 2845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.